Snorkles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

calamaridog said:
The price I was quoted is around $630 USD shipped for the Airtech or the Safari Snorkel.
Wow, you sure he didn't say $630 AUD? That would equal $480 US shipped which sounds more reasonable.

Basically he said the airfreight is expensive due to the volume it takes up, not the weight of the item. And yes, I converted to USD and the price would be about $630 USD.

If a vendor shipped them over in a container the additional freight would be much less. This is why I'm going to look at the US TJM vendors now.

points said:
Crikey! I think Airtec would be a little miffed that their snorkel is considered to be for dust driving only! Mine doesn't seem to leak, despite many deep crossings...even have the fan into radiator marks to prove it (yes, I know I should have fitted a blind)
The 700mm reccomended in the owners manual is for a non-snorkel equipped vehicle.

Have a look at the Airtec vs Safari snorkel verbal battles in Oz ...you may have to cut and paste this...

http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/...ion=display;threadid=6307;start=0;boardseen=1

As Clint Esatwood says...
'Opinions are like assholes...we've all got one"
Now if only I could remember what movie was that from? Was it 'The Rookie'?
Points, Looks like reading and understanding what you read is not one of your greater skills. Your link ,I read it down to post 311 where" Seadog" "I used to work for Airtec and would not" . I do not think this is any arguement, also unfair to Airtec. Before that 7 to 3 in favour of Safari. Best you read it again, pehaps the continuation does change.
If you read my post again you may be able to interperate that nowhere did I state Airtec was for dust only. I pointed out this is how Toyota class most of their snorkels. Realise also in Oz a gen Toyota snorkel is double the price of a Safari or Airtec.In the north here there more aftermarket safari s fitted than Airtec.Most diesel cruisers are sold fitted with a snorkel off the showroom floor.As for things common , around here you can add Landcruisers to that , nothing special about owning one here. :cheers:

I think it is fair to say the Safari Snorkel is going to be more popular. Of course, it has been on the market much longer too.

In the U.S. you just don't see many snorkels...

Hi All, Today I rang the two shops that sell Airtec and Safari and got the following prices for a snorkel that fits a 100 series with Petrol engine.
Airtec Was AU $ 470.00 but none in stock :whoops: so I could not get a box measurement for postage cost,be some in soon. :bounce:
Safari , Was AU$ 420.00 held in stock. The box measurement is 108cmx35 cm x20 cm, I was advised it was under 5 kilograms but the shop was unable to weigh it there. :bounce:
From other inquiries made I was told that there was a limit of 105 cm in length for international air postage. :mad: I was told that these boxes could be shortened and still contain the snorkel. :eek: Apparently there would be less of a problem shipping by international surface mail. :) I was given a ball park figure of AU$53.00 for surface app 10 to12 weeks. Roughly AU$95.00 by air mail.
AU$500.00 = US$ 377.34.
http://www1.auspost.com.au/pac/int_parcel.asp
Seems the box size is a bit of a problem but may be ok on further investigation.
I was also told today that an airlocker was posted to the U.S.A. and it cost Au$130.00 smaller box but much heavier.
I thought this was strange as I understood they were made there. :cheers:

Touche, Mr Brown woofer. With reference to thread 23, if you re-read my post (this time, apply your exclusive 'skill of reading and understanding' I apparently lack), likewise no-where did I imply that it was your opinion, but was referring to Toyota. The point of including the snorkel thread (which incidentally as it was intellectually way above me I zoned out well before doing a safari vs airtec 3D parametric nonsymetrical statistical analysis on all 311 or whatever it was riveting threads) was to illustrate how some people will get all hot around the collar about pretty much what is at the end of the day, nothing but their own preference on their 'common' cruiser. Somehow you missed that point, but in doing so, did manage to confirm Mr Eastwood's. Right Clint??? Sheeesh....

Come on guy's this is an interesting thread, with a lot of useful information within, lets not turn it into a personal attack on each other....

I concur. Geez, Points, at least get your post count out of the teens before you start flaming people... :rolleyes:

Yep, you're right, I apologise to all and sundry incl. Browndog for responding in a personal way. Will bake a fresh humble pie for morning tea. :eek: But on the bright side, only one more post and I see I qualify for more flaming!! :rolleyes:

Goodonya Mate,

You have just gone up the scale in my books for being a good bloke :popcorn:

If no-one has welcomed you to the forum till now, then welcome mate, I reckon you will fit right in here!

Thanks mate, but that's what worries me!! Hey, I've just posted into the teens now...you wanna pick a fight now Wilesy??? ;p

......No thanks mate, I usually tear people to shreds and spit them out for breakfast who pick a fight with me, but as I think you are nice bloke, I'll let you off this time.... :cheers:

Picture293.jpg

One thing we can all agree on both Airtec and Safari look better than my origional tojo snorkel. Probaly get smacked for posting it on your flash cruiser section but I use mine for work and fun.Hope to show I have no preference which goes on a 100 series.I would like a quid for every time I have been asked" why don't you put a decent snorkel on like mine,have a look at my safari" Its very efficient with the precleaner, be suprised what ends up in there.Dog ugly ? for sure.Good sound? YES.
Back to your 100 series snorks, I should have pointed out that these prices would be dearer than the southern capitols because of the freight,Oz is very similar in size to the USA, excluding Alaska of course, similar freight problems but we pay a lot more for fuel,so expect domestic freight may be more expensive. Diesel today29/7/05 in Townsville $1.18 per liter. :cheers:

It's not the snorkel which looks that bad on yours mate, it's the squish in the middle of it mate that has me a little worried....

I've been shopping for a Snorkle, the cheapest I've found so far was $264 shipped. Anybody find it cheaper?

Wilesy said:
It's not the snorkel which looks that bad on yours mate, it's the squish in the middle of it mate that has me a little worried....
I often cop a ribbing over it, "buy a safari" "tight a*se" '
etc heard it all, But it has not effected performance or fuel economy at all.Has been like that for app,. 6 years.Least it did not fly apart like a :whoops: .nearly.Notice the gum leaf in it should have taken it out before pics.Even had my truck on Moa Island for 12 months central western island group Torres Straight between Oz and Papua New Guinea.
Biff,, Is your source and location a secret???? :cheers:

Wilesy said:
Goodonya Mate,

You have just gone up the scale in my books for being a good bloke :popcorn:

If no-one has welcomed you to the forum till now, then welcome mate, I reckon you will fit right in here!

I concur. Points is a good sort and he emailed with me regarding this issue in the beginning and snapped some photos and such for me. Good looking out Points.

I still owe you a pint, whenever you come to the U.S. or I may visit down under someday:cheers:

Check out this snorkel!!!

seen this rig up in Azusa canyon over the weekend. Hard to see but its made out of your every day ABS pipe this thing looks mean i wonder if this could be put a on a 100 lc? this was a cj5?
abs-snorkel-1-1.jpg
abs-snorkel-2-2.jpg

Guys -

To rehash an old issue, I had a question re: Airtec vs. Safari. I know that on the Safari the intermediate tube runs right through the location where the power radio antenna motor is housed (on US-spec trucks) which requires that you remove the antenna and replace with something else (like the non-powered whip antenna that John talks about). Does anyone know if the Airtec also requires this? I would like to keep the power antenna feature.

On another note, what about creating a custom job that comes down through the hood?

Thanks,

Based on the similar design and location of the stock tube I don't see how it could be any different.

I replaced my power antenna too. I'm using a unit from the 03 Tundra right now. Fits better than the Chrysler one did.

Not sure about the hood thing, doesn't seem better than the current location. It is tucked fairly high up into the passenger side fender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom