smog pump eliminator FJ60 kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LOL!

Seeing someone ask about desmogging for the first time is like watching Bilbo leave the Shire...

You don't HAVE to do anything other than just gut the smog pump (de-vane) I have de-vaned my smog pump on my second 60 and left the rest intact...it won't do any harm.

The key to desmogging, IMHO, is to have it running good before you start....if you are desmogging to try and solve a poor running motor, you'll never track down the reason because you have just introduced like 15 other possibilities. The other suggestion I would have is to read that big ass thread a couple times...you don't have to understand WHY things are to be removed but you DO need to understand, completely, what your after and what that entails.

Agree with trapper. If there are issues try to resolve them first. Had I known better I would have found that replacing all my vacuum lines and a new violet BVSV would have fixed most of my issues.

Look in my sig for all the FSMs and the desmog doc is in there as well.

Bought a 60 series a few months back. Bad metal on metal noise coming from the front, was not sure if it was the air pump, or PS pump, but guessed it was the air pump based on how bad the noise was. The rig was already desmogged so the air pump wasnt doing anything.

Last week, changed out the belts as they were old, and wanted to see what the noise was. Confirmed it was the air pump.

I was looking for either a new pump or a delete kit, but after reading this thread I took it out and gutted it, then put it back on.

HOLY WOW its so quiet now, the engine is a totally different beautiful sound now. Thanks for the tips.

Air pump removed
PXL_20240302_225924544.jpg

Air pump rear opened
PXL_20240302_231020473.jpg

Inside parts dumped out...
PXL_20240303_165853119.jpg

Bought a 60 series a few months back. Bad metal on metal noise coming from the front, was not sure if it was the air pump, or PS pump, but guessed it was the air pump based on how bad the noise was. The rig was already desmogged so the air pump wasnt doing anything.

Last week, changed out the belts as they were old, and wanted to see what the noise was. Confirmed it was the air pump.

I was looking for either a new pump or a delete kit, but after reading this thread I took it out and gutted it, then put it back on.

HOLY WOW its so quiet now, the engine is a totally different beautiful sound now. Thanks for the tips.

Air pump removed
View attachment 3574461

Air pump rear opened
View attachment 3574462

Inside parts dumped out...
View attachment 3574463
I just tackled that job too, didn't want to buy the pulley kit, this was much cheaper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom