Smittybuilt sells a RTT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The opening in the ceiling are pretty sweet, but the side window openings are fabric, which I guess is good if you like to sleep in. I like my CVT because they are clear, and it lets me keep the tent warmer and see out.

That looks an awful lot like many others including ARB. If so it might not be a bad deal.

It's all about zipper and seam quality...

Who's gonna be the guinea pig?

I'm just kidding, of course, but if anyone's local to a big 4wparts. Try and lay hands on this smittybuilt tent and see what you think? Especially the zippers. They're always do or die on high end tents.

Smittybilt? High end? Now there's an oxymoron.. But think of it--- if someone does buy one, only to find its a one season tent, ie, clear skies, no wind, & temps in the 60s, then this could be a great thread that could go on for years remarking on the poor QC of smittybilt's newest offering.. I'm willing to bet that a portrait of PT Barnum is hung proudly in the lobby of their corporate office...

image.jpg
image.jpg
Yeah, high end was probably a bad choice of words:) my free 10k winch has been quite handy though. Noisy and a bit slow from the warn stuff I've used, but I pull my truck weight with it at work often.

Never owed a RTT, kinda scared I'll wake up to pee, after a night of refreshments by the fire, at zerodarkthirty and step off it on accident.

View attachment 961150 View attachment 961151 Yeah, high end was probably a bad choice of words:) my free 10k winch has been quite handy though. Noisy and a bit slow from the warn stuff I've used, but I pull my truck weight with it at work often.

Never owed a RTT, kinda scared I'll wake up to pee, after a night of refreshments by the fire, at zerodarkthirty and step off it on accident.
Yup, that's hilarious,, we use a ground tent for the very same reason. And we like setting up a base camp and wheel and backpack from it for a few days, then move on to the next base camp for a few more days..

I've spent more on 3 season 3 person backpacking tents. I think I'm gonna try getting over to the 4wparts in Stockton to look at it in person Friday.

If so, I'll post up whatever I can share.

I need absolute waterproof and good zipper construction. Otherwise it looks good to me and at that price I won't be so apprehensive of potential trail damage as I would with the real 'name brand' stuff.

I've already played with this tent. It's the same quality as all the other tents made in China (Ironman, toughdog, original ARB,). Would I rank it as well as current generation ARB, or Cascadia, no. If you're looking to try the rtt thing without a huge investment or just need a tent on a budget the Smittybilt tent will serve the purpose.

4wp/4wd should have them in stock towards the end of November.

Absolute water & wind proof is a Kodiak Canvas tent. Not a RTT, though.

Interesting. Hopefully this will put pressure on other companies to be a little more competitive on their pricing..
That's what I'm trying to achieve as well. For far to long the gear for our rigs has been priced out of reach for the common man.

CVT is currently transferring most of their line to US production from what I've read.

There are some European / Austrailian / South African manufacturers also but they are high end stuff.

With alibaba.com, you can order the RTTs that are sold domestically direct from China. I haven't done it, but I've exchanged some emails with the vendor. I believe they're around $600 and look exactly like some of the tents I've seen rebranded and selling for $1200-$1500.

Absolute water & wind proof is a Kodiak Canvas tent. Not a RTT, though.

Just need to not wake up at 4am in the sierras soaking wet. In the fall the weather is totally unpredictable. Been there, done that, froze my arse off...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom