Small Johnson Outboard With No Spark (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JJS

Threads
I was given a small Johnson Seahorse outboard that I believe to be about 2.5 HP. It has no spark. The plug looks fine and is gapped correctly, I cleaned the contacts on the coil, and still nothing. All connections are fine, and the points look and function fine. I'm hoping the problem isn't the stator because, in that case, I'll probably junk it. Is there anything else I may be missing? Can I test the resistance on the ignition coil somehow? It would be cool to get it running again. It's old.

did you check all the wiring and their connections first?

Yep. All the connections were good. Disregard the stator remark. The points are triggered by a cam. I've got dirtbikes on the brain. :doh:

It's got good compression and carb is mint. If I get it some spark, it should go good on the back of a square stern canoe.

chances are it is the coil but I guess you know that. I suck at meters, you might be able to run it into a marine supply store and they'll check it quick...finding parts could be tough.

chances are it is the coil but I guess you know that. I suck at meters, you might be able to run it into a marine supply store and they'll check it quick...finding parts could be tough.

Yeah. I'm leaning towards the coil. I can probably find one online. I was hoping I could test resistance before I replace it, but what the hell else could it be?

Checking a manual I have for old Merc outboards says for checking points you need to connect one lead of a ohmmeter to a good ground on the powerhead and the other to the wht strator lead and then slowly rotate the flywheel, the meter should fluctuate with it, if not it's the points.

for the coil use the VOA range at Rx100 to check low speed resistance between the red and yellow coil leads, the reading should be between 32-40.....I know this is a johhnyrude, but it's prolly close to the same on the older motors.

Check this stuff and let me know if we need to go further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom