Slight thunk in front suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I am getting a slight thunk in the driver's side front suspension. I thought it might be the LCA ball joint, but I see no play when I tested the up and down movement, literally no movement at all from the LCA joints. The LX has 240k miles on it, for reference. I see no leaks from the shocks, could this be it...just worn? I have read on here that the shocks can last quite long with proper AHC maintenance. I completed a full service on the system last year and Techstream shows everything within factory spec. Based on what I feel, it would seem it's a ball joint. I just replaced the UCA ball joints on both sides and I still feel it. I have gone through the whole truck and nothing is standing out and I don't want to just replace parts for the sake of it. Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated from this knowledgeable crowd.

Scott

Take a look at the condition of your control arm bushings. Regardless of miles, they are probably getting a bit soft if they are original. Same thing on your shock bushings. If they aren't centered on the mounting bolt, they are likely worn out

Thanks @Brandon Ryder, I did inspect those cushions and bushings. They don't look horrible but certainly worn. I took advantage of the sales discount with Decatur Toyota and purchased new parts to address both sides. Thanks again.

Hello all,

I am getting a slight thunk in the driver's side front suspension. I thought it might be the LCA ball joint, but I see no play when I tested the up and down movement, literally no movement at all from the LCA joints. The LX has 240k miles on it, for reference. I see no leaks from the shocks, could this be it...just worn? I have read on here that the shocks can last quite long with proper AHC maintenance. I completed a full service on the system last year and Techstream shows everything within factory spec. Based on what I feel, it would seem it's a ball joint. I just replaced the UCA ball joints on both sides and I still feel it. I have gone through the whole truck and nothing is standing out and I don't want to just replace parts for the sake of it. Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated from this knowledgeable crowd.

Scott

I recently replaced a lot of stuff. Upper control arms with ball joints, lower ball joints, steering rack and tie rods. I also replaced the passenger side cv axle. I think this is what causes the "land cruiser bang". Most of the bang or thunk is gone now. I only replaced since it was leaking. If I had replaced both cv axles I think the thunk would be gone totally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom