Slee's new Backup Camera Bracket Install (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

paflytyer

100s in the Hills
Media Partner
Threads
Once again Slee Offroad is pumping out new tricks and gadgets for us 100 Series owners. This Backup Camera Bracket is for those of us with OEM backup camera and a rear bumper with tire carrier. The tire blocks the camera and one way to fix that was to relocate the camera over to the drivers side and drill new holes in your lift gate. I don't like that for a few reasons. 1. Your camera is way off center and you do still see the tire a little. 2. You can't really tell how close your tire is to whatever your backing up to.

Slee and Joe Risavi to the rescue. Here's how to remove your backup camera, rewire it and reinstall it on the mounting bracket. The bracket mounts to the spare tire carrier.

920C7495_zpsdd494f0d.jpg

The camera mounts to the bracket via tabs provided in the kit and the screws that were holding the camera in its original location.

920C7492_zpsd4b32e18.jpg

First, you need to remove the camera from your hatch. You could do it a couple ways. Pop the license plate lights out and remove the screws holding the camera to the hatch. Then try and get your fingers in there and release the tabs. Or Joe's recommended method, remove the screws from the camera and use a step drill and just drill out the plastic tabs. Slee will most likely provide new ones in their kit

920C7473_zps842881db.jpg

IMG_2762_zps8c745561.jpg

The camera will come right out. Pull it out as far as you can and clip the wires past the wire connector. You'll only get a few inches of wire past the connecter, but get as much as you can.

920C7475_zps813d004e.jpg

920C7477_zps39a7893b.jpg

Unplug the connector and mount the camera to the bracket.

IMG_2730_zps3e29fedb.jpg

Now you need to get to the camera wires that feed up to your in-dash display. They are located in the rear quarter panel near your jack. First remove the flap that covers the gap between your cargo area and back hatch. It's 5 or 6 screws. Then remove the T that's used to secure your cargo net. This T just twists and pulls out. There is a screw behind there that needs to be removed.

920C7478_zps79cb8a97.jpg

Now you can pull that panel away enough to access the camera wires.

IMG_2731_zpsd6860b28.jpg

The bundle you're looking for has 4 wires going into the connector. A Black, White, Red and a Bare wire covered in black tape. The whole bundle is covered by a white/Green wire cover a few inches up from the connector.

IMG_2732_zpsed383f6e.jpg

Unplug the connector and clip the wires leaving about 6 or 7 inches to work with.

IMG_2748_zps9040566b.jpg

There is a black plastic oval plug that's down below those wires. If you go under the truck it's easy to see. This needs to be popped out.

920C7432_zps8e8f0892.jpg

Use a long screwdriver and just pop it out and set it aside. It will fall out pretty easy.

IMG_2737_zps9ef46076.jpg

IMG_2739_zps4ed7af4a.jpg

Now it's time to solder some wires together. Using the connecter and 6-7 inches of wire you just clipped, solder everything together with the wire provided by Slee. The wire Slee provides is just 22ga home security wire used for wiring homes/business. (Great find Joe)
This bundle has 5 wires in it. Red, Black, White, Bare and Green. You're going to match color to color with your clipped bundle and just disregard the green wire, it's not used.

IMG_2741_zpse854e85c.jpg

IMG_2744_zps1d3d42d6.jpg

Now that you've just extended that wire, take the black oval piece you popped out before and drill a small hole in the center enough for the security wire top pass through.

IMG_2747_zps97679089.jpg

The next step can be done a few different ways. What I did was feed the security wire through the opening in the body where I popped the black oval plug out. I pulled all the security wire through and fed it through the black oval plug. EDIT:This next picture shows the wire feeding through the plug the WRONG way. Feed it through the waffle side of the oval.

IMG_2749_zps308704d6.jpg

Then I reinstalled the black plug into the body. I used a little silicone around the hole the security wire passed through just to seal that plug back up from water/mud in case I ever get that deep. You can plug that connector back together now. All you were doing was extending that part of the wire five or six feet with the security wire.

Next, I ran the security wire underneath the truck/bumper to the passenger side and up between the bumper and the body where your license plate light wire is run. (I hope that makes sense, Ill snap a pic tomorrow) Basiclly it's run to the swingout just like the wire that provides power to the LED licence plate lights on the bumper. I also zip tied the security wire up under the bumper to keep it out of the way.

Now you have to solder the security wire to the section of wire you clipped when you first pulled the camera out of the hatch. You only have a few inches of wire to work with here, so do it right the first time. Match color to color again disregarding the green from the security wire. This time the Brown wire from the camera side connects to the Bare wire on the security side. I didn't take a picture of the two connecting, but this is the plug and few inches of wire I'm talking about.

920C7477_zps6dcef2c9.jpg

Last edited:
Almost done....

Run that newly soldered plug along the swingout and up the middle of the backside of the tire carrier and plug it in to the camera/plug that you mounted on the bracket earlier.
Hop in your truck and put it in reverse and make sure you did everything right.

This is why I like a backup camera..

IMG_2767_zpse8694dc3.jpg

The last thing you need to do is address the hole in your hatch left by the camera. I went down to a plastics store here in town and bought a business card sized piece of ABS plastic. I'm 99% sure Slee will provide these with the kit when they're ready to go. I had to reshape it just a little with a Dremel and drill two holes where the original mounting screws would go.

IMG_2764_zps0bbc1b59.jpg

Slee's kit will have also provided you with 2 extra clips like the ones you destroyed earlier when you drilled them out. Pop the new clips into the slots in the hatch, run a bead of silicone on the plastic piece and screw it into place. I ran another pass of silicone around the edges once it was mounted also. That will keep any moisture from getting in.

IMG_2765_zpsee54879b.jpg

I know it's a little crooked, it bugs me too. I'll get back to it and straighten it out.

IMG_2766_zpsbfadc363.jpg

That's it, you just relocated your backup camera with Slee's new Backup Camera Kit. Christo said they are just putting these kits together for sale. The kit will most likely include:

Camera Bracket
a few feet of Wire
4 OE plastic tabs
any additional hardware needed

I'm not 100% sure on what pricing is going to be, but it's not much.

I really like the fact that I know EXACTLY where the edge of my tire is. The only negative I see will be when you're running a Trasharoo. All you're gonna see is the close up backside of a garbage bag. I'm playing with a few options on what to do there.

Last edited:
Great idea. I've been looking to do the same thing for a while now.

I would like to see the mount be fully enclosed on the screw side to deter theft. These cameras are quite pricey if you have to replace one.

I would like to see the mount be fully enclosed on the screw side to deter theft. These cameras are quite pricey if you have to replace one.

That's a good point. I'm gonna look at it today.

Get in touch with Christo at
1-888-4X4-SLEE
Tel +1 (303) 278-8287

He might have a better idea. Although, it's pretty inconspicuous unless you know what you're looking at.

Last edited:
Great idea. I've been looking to do the same thing for a while now.

That doesn't make any sense since you can as easily remove it from here as the stock location? What am I missing, other than it is a little more visible in this location vs under the hatch.

If one is concerned about that, it would be better to get a security type fastner like an allen head with a pin in the center.

Just saw this very cool. Mine is attached to the tire swing arm a bit lower and limits my overall view.

However, I run a bike rack from time to time off the tire, gas can or Trash a roo.., So I guess I am out on this mod.

I've had a camera on my hitch for 3 years attached with double stick tape... no theft yet.

BTW that Toyota camera is quite generic... the camera itself could be replaced for $30 (minus the plastic bracket). Even the wiring for it is generic.

Nice that there is a bracket for the spare tire. As I close in on a rear bumper purchase it's one less thing I will need to fab up.

Last edited:
I've got to relocate my reverse cam and want to wire in an aux light that's reverse activated at the same time.

Anyone know if one of the wires for the reverse cam is the actual Rev+ light? If so I can tap both the camera and the light in here...

IMG_2741_zpse854e85c.jpg

I've got to relocate my reverse cam and want to wire in an aux light that's reverse activated at the same time.

Anyone know if one of the wires for the reverse cam is the actual Rev+ light? If so I can tap both the camera and the light in here...

Andy,
I don't think so, (99.5% sure) but it wouldn't be hard to check. If you unplug the camera connector and put your truck in "R", the camera won't come on, but I think the reverse lights still will. You could easily tap into the reverse lights at the same time as you relocate the camera/wiring. That bundle is in the same area.

It tapped into the reverse wire in the rear light housing. I used it to trigger a relay for my bright LED cube from Nick. I was ran a switch to the front that also triggers the relay so I can use the light for camping.

Trying to pull the backup camera. Can not get the tabs on the back of the camera bracket to release. I'd rather get them out correctly than drill them. Any trick??

image-849207183.jpg

Nevermind. I went ahead and drilled it.

And this is a lot longer job when you have a drawer system bolted in that has to be unbolted first!

image-1536287076.jpg

Nevermind. I went ahead and drilled it.

And this is a lot longer job when you have a drawer system bolted in that has to be unbolted first!

Much easier to just drill the plastic tabs. Toyota sells them for less than $1.00 I think.

Nice! I dipped my bracket too.... it didn't looked right with the wheels and stood out too much. Stealth Mode approved now.

I bet those drawers added an hour or two to this install.

Nice! I dipped my bracket too.... it didn't looked right with the wheels and stood out too much. Stealth Mode approved now. I bet those drawers added an hour or two to this install.
Yeah I painted it yesterday so it would be good and dry before install today. Had to be black! Could've done this in an hour to an hour and a half without the drawers. Those and a trip to the hardware store made it 4 hours. Still not bad though. 60 and sunny today. Good day to be out.

Can anyone please put a picture of the OEM rear camera setup? Showing the rear with the spare carrier.

Can you explain what are you trying to see? I may have a pic. The camera is located under the hatch. Once the bumper with tire carrier is installed, it blocks the cameras view. Or, are you asking for the look after the camera has been relocated?

Can you explain what are you trying to see? I may have a pic. The camera is located under the hatch. Once the bumper with tire carrier is installed, it blocks the cameras view. Or, are you asking for the look after the camera has been relocated?

Sorry, I thought the camera is coming stock with stock spare carrier, because I have the spare tire carrier, this is what I did but I'm looking for a better option. Also, can you please direct me to the slee camera setup parts. Thanks!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407603470.869570.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom