Events/Trails Sledding on Palomar Saturday 11/30? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.phalconoverland.com
Heavily depending on how much snow falls, I am hoping to take my herd ages 1- 8 to Doane Pond which is on the Palomar State Park park ($10) to go sledding Saturday the 30th.

Doane Pond

If enough snow falls, we would likely depart Escondido around 9AM, take Nate Harrison Grade up to the park, pay the fee, and proceed to enjoy the winter wonderland. Departing we would probably take the same route to avoid all of the minivans in snow chains.

Anyone interested would want to bring lunch and a chair. Note you have a short hike to the sledding hill so bring some shoes/boots that won't get soaked from the snow.

Post up if interested and we will monitor the storm and hope it dumps.

Frank

It's going to be crazy up here. I'd get a real early start. FYI
Scot

Last edited:
I agree with Scot.... it gets crazy up there

3:00pm on Thursday at 4,200' in Julian
1574982248336.png

Ok, we will avoid the crazy people by taking Nate Harrison grade in and out.

That looks awesome Scot!!! Thanks for sharing!

Awesome! So the plan is to meet at the i15/76 park and ride for a 9 am departure. Or if you prefer you can just meet us at Doane.

Should be fun!!!

For those concerned about the craziness , taking Nate Harrison weeds out 90%. Going on the state park weeds out more that won't pay 10 bucks. The road to Doane weeds out more since it is hard for non 4wds in the snow. If past visits are any indication, we will avoid the craziness and enjoy the snow.

Wish we could make it! Post photos.

For those concerned about the craziness , taking Nate Harrison weeds out 90%. Going on the state park weeds out more that won't pay 10 bucks. The road to Doane weeds out more since it is hard for non 4wds in the snow. If past visits are any indication, we will avoid the craziness and enjoy the snow.

That said... the last time I went up Nate Harrison Grade to take the kids sledding we encountered a knucklehead in a 2WD Ford car with tire cables (aka cheap chains) who'd become stuck and the cables had come loose and wrapped around his axle.... I had to cut the cables off for him and then help him get moving again. Another trip 15 years earlier I encountered a downed tree across the road that halted our progress and making the u-turn was difficult to say the least. Have fun, I might take run up there later in the day when the teens wake up.

Well wheeling is as we say, open ended entertainment. ..

@SocalLCruiser said he went up today, same story 2wd knuckleheads, 20 other trucks, waited an hour for the traffic to clear. Just go early you'll be fine.

So depending on traffic on 76 we will take one of two routes. If traffic is light we will just take 76 to Nate Harrison. If 76 is backed up we will head south a few miles and take Lilac through Valley Center. That has a minimal amount of time on 76 and little traffic.

The rangers are careful who they let drive down to Doane. In the past they either would not allow a 2WD or would ensure they had chains.

1575126736118.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom