Skinny Toyota Wheel to suit M101CDN (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I'm thinking of converting my M101CDN to 6x5.5" hubs so, in case of emergency, wheels and tires from the trailer could be used on my truck (and vice versa).

However, I would like to find a Toyota (or even another make) wheel with similar specs compared to the original Iltis wheels on the trailer. The Iltis wheels are quite skinny, ~5.5" wide IIRC and 16" in diameter. According to the research I have done so far it does not appear that there is a similar wheel in the Toyota family, but if anyone knows otherwise that would be great.

Try searching on 4-runner spare rims (1998 maybe??).
Some guys run them on their 40s.

why not match the trailer wheels to the Toyota and then use a hub adapter for the 6x5 wheel?

why not match the trailer wheels to the Toyota and then use a hub adapter for the 6x5 wheel?
I want to run a skinny 235/85R16. The tires I have on my cruiser are too tall and wide for use on a trailer in my opinion.

I have an M101 with original Iltis tires and wheels. I feel your pain. One thing to consider is the Iltis wheels have a large backspace compared to the zero offset common on cruisers. If you are trying to keep stock fenders this will matter. I've considered going 235/85R16 but also 750R16 from Coker Tire or other. My latest thought is to just run Iltis rims and a 650R16 OEM spare mounted under the trailer. Also learned that the European Defenders have 750R16 Michelin XZL's on them. This tire is a viable option that is almost OEM but I have no way to get it shipped reasonably.

FJC/Tacoma 17 x 7.5" steelies. Look right, and can swap onto either of my Cruisers as needed. Tires are Super Swamper SXII in 33 9.5 17.

full

full

Last edited:
You changed to spring over though it looks like?

The more I look into it, the more likely I am just going to stick with the factory Iltis wheels and find myself a dedicated spare wheel for the trailer.

Not interested in a spring over or wheels that widen the track outside of the factory fenders.

The PO had done the SOA and six lug conversion. Had a set of early 40 rims with 33's when I picked it up which were about the same outboard. The original 5 lug rims would definitely fit better under the fenders. The biggest issue so far with the SOA was bent shock mounts, as the bump stops had not been extended. If mine was not already SOA I would leave it alone.

Douglas, I came to the same conclusion with mine. I was able to find someone with a scrap Iltis truck and get a tire/rim from them.

You can run up to 33s on the stock leaf location. They'll clear the bottom of the fender on full stuff. Higher than that you either have to SOA (simplest) or go with reconfigured, raised fenders which have to attach somewhere above the stock location where the bed slopes in.

Tread width and backspacing also come into play. The lip is obviously gonna limit Overall height a little more if you are close to or at 33.

Thought all this through when I designed the custom fenders on ours now. I didn't build them, but they basically heard what to do and executed the details of the design as needed. We're going no bigger than 33, so was easy to use the stock mounting points for the fenders and "lift the skirts" a little while widening to suit the 80 series rims. PO had already converted the hubs to match.

LightsOnPSCornerLow8.jpg

Here's with the eventual 255/85R16s on 80 series alloys. Need to get three more 80 series steel wheels like on our truck to match everything up and give one spare.
JunkRun1.jpg

I did this once.

I regretted the money and time spent replacing all the over engineered mil spec hubs and axle.

Seeiously, there are very very few flats you will get that can't be repaired assuming you blow through your spare.

It's a non issue for 99.99% of US wheelers towing a trailer.

I think you're thinking an extra spare. Nope just one good spare. Maybe.

When we got the truck it was still running on a set of 5 of the stock alloys. The spare was flat because there was no way the corroded rim could hold air. The others were one good, 2 so-so, and a single gotta go. The current spare on the truck is the best, the trailer runs on the 2 iffy ones and the gotta go is waiting to be turned into a lamp stand for the shop. The original spare was melted somewhere in a scrap drive.

That's why I want 3 more steelies, so the trailer and spare match the other four on the truck. I agree, no need to say any more.

There's nothing real exotic on a M101. Pretty standard parts warehouse stuff for most of the fittings, shocks, parking brake cabling. And the mil parts that are there are functional on ours and giving good service. The best part are the plugs that make it amphibious are standard plumbing items, a flap-operated stopper x4 (.5" IIRC but don't count on it measure it yourself if it matters)

I've sourced another Iltis wheel and am just now deciding on tires.

My best original xcl is going underneath as a spare, using an 80-series tire winch that I also have on the way.

Douglas, we should coordinate on this tire mounting detail as I too have an 80 series tire winch, iltis tire, and an Iltis 650R16 I'm planning to mount underneath my trailer.

A larger tire, such as a 750R16 (what I REALLY want are the 750R16 XZL's from UK) may not fit underneath but in the rare event that I have to swap to my spare I'll find a place to put the damaged tire.

Last edited:
Tires arrived today. The Michelin XZL's would have been my first choice were it not for almost complete unavailability in North America.

These are 235/85R16 KM2's.

20160524_122128.jpg
20160524_122221.jpg
20160524_122419.jpg
20160524_122432.jpg

Tires look good. I've been spending WAY too much time trying to decide what tires to buy. Would you mind posting some nice pictures of the trailer once the tires are installed? I'd really appreciate it.

Tires look good. I've been spending WAY too much time trying to decide what tires to buy. Would you mind posting some nice pictures of the trailer once the tires are installed? I'd really appreciate it.
Absolutely. It will be a little bit as I am still waiting for my third wheel. Once it arrives all three will then be off to the powdercoater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom