Single or double Jerry can mounted to roof rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Disclaimers:
1) not interested in relocating spare or cost associated with Long Ranger style tank.
2) nor do I plan to add the weight of a rear steel bumper.

I’d like to carry some extra fuel for longer weekend adventures, so I don’t get that panicky feeling when we are far from a gas station and the tank dips below 1/4 full. The vehicle is a 2013 LC200 with abysmal 13 mpg.

Already have half a dozen Jerry cans for the Defender, and there is a full length sturdy aftermarket roof rack on the vehicle.

Now I am trying to decide whether to put 2 cans on the roof or only 1. Probably only *really* need 20l to get to a gas station if running low on fuel, but maybe 2 would be nice? More better? The double Jerry can racks only usually work if you have 2 cans in them, so extra wind noise even if one of the cans is empty. I understand getting them up and down will be heavy and a pain.

Thoughts on 1 vs 2 cans up on the roof? Do you have experience that would lead you one way or the other?

Go with two. As long as you are going through the effort of fabricating, purchasing and/or mounting a can holder on the rack, you might as well maximize the capacity. You say that you already have the cans, so the other downsides would be :
Additional cost for a 2 can rack
Additional weight up top
Additional wind resistance

My thought is that the wind resistance will have a minimal effect on your power and gas milage. We all know that gas milage sucks and and the difference between 1 or 2 cans up top won't be noticable.
Weight up top will may or may not be a concern for you. Figure around 40 lbs for an almost full gerry can. Depending on the type of wheeling you do, or how loaded your rig is, that extra weight may be noticable.
I occasionally carry a triple can carrier on longer trips and for the most part, I don't notice it up top. That includes off-camber crawling. The only time I'm concerned is when wheeling through tight trails with low hanging branches. I built the carrier strong enough to withstand dragging through most trees for that reason.

Well, you have a rack so use it :)

In oz I have a plywood box that can hold 5 cans on their side (narrow edge). 5 cans of diesel adds some considerable range when you need it, especially in addition to the 160 litre tank. If I need only 2 cans or 3 then I just put a 'filler' to occupy the missing spaces. Piece of conveyor belt rubber between the cans and a piece of large rubber mat under the entire space - keeps things quiet and no metal/metal rubbing.

I strap the lot down to the rack. Used it for many many trips and often out for weeks+ at a time, rough roads etc, never had any reliability issues. Filling is easy if you have 2 people, one up on the rack and the other passes up the fuel filler hose, no need to lift a full can. To transfer fuel, one up on the rack, use a jiggle pump with appropriate hose length, the other fella keeps the hose secure in the filler hole, no need to lift down a full can.

Here's an old pic with 5 cans in place. Not as trendy as a bunch of rotopax stuff, but as or more functional :)

5jerry.jpg

cheers,
george.

88E5D967-2C77-4011-9416-FB4DE8CDD909.jpeg

I went with one on each side just for symmetries sake. I tried a bunch of combos sketched out and for me this worked the best since I have the storage up there too. The double Jerry can holder was too large to place on either side of the box and it would have bothered me to have off centered accessories lol

I kind of wondered how it would look up top . I guess looking at the pic it's not bad at all. I built one for a customer and it came out looking quite nice. The car it's on is not a Toyota so, I am not sure I can post it here. It also sits on the rear bumper. Here are 2 pics. Delete if not allowed

IMG-20220516-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20220516-WA0000.jpg

I had six NATO cans on the roof of my FJ60. Mounted on their backs ,refueling was easy, without removing them , using a super syphon hose .

1985_toyota_land_cruiser_fj60_155035812366e7dff9f98764daIMG_20190120_133709948_HDR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom