1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Single Groove Question

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by julio71fj40, Mar 1, 2007.

1. julio71fj40

julio71fj40

I have a 71 F motor with the single groove pulley. I am wanting to add a mini truck power steering set up. My question is: has anyone pulled a pulley off of another F single groove balancer and mounted it to the existing balancer? I have a spare laying around, and it appears that it can come apart. This could save me some money to purchase some brackets from Mr Dorrey.

Any help is appreciated. I hope this makes sense. I have searched with no results other than buying a pulley or having one fabricated.

Jeff

2. Coolerman

Coolerman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Don't know of anyone who has done that so try it! You might be the first!

There is a third option: Buy a pulley from Marks's OffRoad and bolt it to your existing pulley.

3. sepr2

sepr2

You might want to post on "parts wanted" I think I paid $65 for a balancer off an FJ60 with 3 grooves, duel groove pulley for the W/P and an alt bracket to mount the alt on the other side on my '71 (all off the 60 that was being parted). I have a 2F and I do not think the bracket will work on an F as the mounting holes are not there but you may be able to get a balancer with extra grooves for little money or less that you think. Just a thought...

4. Coolerman

Coolerman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes the 2F alternator bracket will work on the F engine, that is what I'm currently running. I also agree that the three groove pulley is a cool way to do this too.

After looking at the F crank pulley it looks like you will have to grind off 6 rivets to separate the balancer from the pulley then you will need to get a 2F or 3F crank pulley nut to make up for the extra thickness. The pulley has a solid hub so should withstand the torque of the nut. You MIGHT have to make a small spacer between them so the nut does not crush the lip of the pulleys. I can't tell from looking at one. ;)

5. sepr2

sepr2

Thank Coolerman for the info about the bracket on the F. I have had the 2F in for a while so couldn't remember. My daughter goes to UK. Nice up there...

6. Coolerman

Coolerman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    What? :eek: A Bull Dog Georgia girl at UK? So does she root for UK or Georgia during SEC time? :D

I have been going through this exact conversion on my 71 F so it's all fresh in my mind...

7. sepr2

sepr2

Even worst. We are originally from Fla and Gator fans!! Figure all that in. She is now all Wildcat...

8. Coolerman

Coolerman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Wow! Talking about multiple personalities!

Well I wish her the best and if she ever needs any help up here give me a jingle, the wife and I will be happy to help her out.

9. sepr2

sepr2

Thanks, I might call one day...Brian

10. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:

Mark Algazy at Marksoffroad.net sells a bolt on pulley for just such an application. I was lucky, my '74 F had a smog pump on it at one time and it already had a 2 groove crank pulley/balancer. One wide and one narrow.

GL

Ed

11. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Then, you lost it somewhere in Idaho....

12. sepr2

sepr2

I didn't realize Toyota put narrow and wide grooves on originally. Learn all the time...Thanks for the info...

13. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    I think your pulley alignment will go much easier if you just source a 2 or 3 groove balancer and install that. Post up in "parts wanted" and someone will have one. The 2F had two wide grooves and the F had a narrow and wide, but either should work just fine.

GL

Ed

14. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:

Are you stalking me?;)

Ed

15. sepr2

sepr2

TLCA# 14529
    Originally Posted by sepr2
    I didn't realize Toyota put narrow and wide grooves on originally. Learn all the time...Thanks for the info...

I think your pulley alignment will go much easier if you just source a 2 or 3 groove balancer and install that. Post up in "parts wanted" and someone will have one. The 2F had two wide grooves and the F had a narrow and wide, but either should work just fine.

I recomended the balancer replacement. My F only had the 1 groove system and no narrow/wide pulley set-up? 9/70 mfg. Which ones came with the narrow? Mine came off the boat unseen in jacksonville Fla. Picked it up from the local dealer. Still has the dealer emblem on the back. Just wondering...

16. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:

The ones that had a smog pump. Narrow ran the alt, wide ran the air pump.
    Whatchoo doin postin' all my personal information?!?!?;)

I think maybe Cali-spec'd Fs had the two groove. If yours can from overseas, it probably had no air pump.

Ed

17. sepr2

sepr2

Sorry, Still learning. Thought they all came from overseas in 71. Learned another thing. Where did they build them then? What did I post that waan't on the previous post? Didn't know no Cali had those specs in place in '71...Brian

18. AJFJ40

AJFJ40

I'm running both the PS pump and alternator on one belt. Bought PS pump bracket from Lance at Iron Pig. I made the adjustment rod on the alternator longer to push the alternator out and get more pulley contact on the belt. Also just drilled single hole in alternator adjstment rod since belt adjustment is now on PS pump bracket. Just did this conversion last month and seems to be workimg fine.