Simple 24V Grounding question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, got a quick and easy question,

Just installed a 12V stereo but have not hooked up power/ground yet....was wondering if it is OK to ground to the chassis.....a tinkerer told me last week that grounding to a 24V system may blow fuses in the stereo.

(No, I have not installed a step-down converter yet, still working through the past threads to determine best route!)

Slainte,
D

Stone,

Are you saying something like the attached diagram would work OK?
Radio wiring.jpg

Other then the converter hookup, yes.

Some converters are best to hook up to the battery lowside negative pole.

Some converters can simply go to frame ground.

The instructions you get with whatever one you should indicate which is required.

hth's

gb

Yes, you can ground 24V and 12V. But maybe you can only if the negative of the 12V output of the converter is somehow grounded, not sure if mine is.

I just bought a 40amp ICT converter http://www.ictcorporate.com/
Yes 40 because i'm going to run my compressor on it. I could have bought a 24V viair but it was too long and wouldn't fit.

So i'm going to have a 16 amp 24V to 12V for sale, if you are interested..

Cruiser D said:
Hey guys, got a quick and easy question,

Just installed a 12V stereo but have not hooked up power/ground yet....was wondering if it is OK to ground to the chassis.....a tinkerer told me last week that grounding to a 24V system may blow fuses in the stereo.

(No, I have not installed a step-down converter yet, still working through the past threads to determine best route!)

Slainte,
D

Eleblanc:

You won't be disappointed with the ICT converters. One of the owners is a friend of mine, and I toured their facility in Langley a little while ago and was impressed with their technology and quality control.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom