should i trust my rotors to torque sticks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserdan said:
Only if they will not come apart otherwise. Impact wrenches bang the s*** out of chrome lug nuts and destroy the finish. Imagine what else is getting knocked around.

Sometimes the outside of the lug gets buggered enough to make the lug stick in the socket....This leads to one of my favorite tales of the mechanic who put the tip of his thumb in the lug to wiggle it out of the socket......He accidentally hit the trigger and spun the nut onto his thumb....As the story goes the more painful part was putting the gun in revesre and backing it off...... :eek: :crybaby:

I'm drawn to using air tools 'cause lets face it there's nothing like the sound of an air ratchet or impact wrench :D soemtimes I'll spin on lugs loosely with the ratchet (not the impact) and then snug them up with the torque wrench. Other times its more work to get out the air tools than is saved by using them.....

UPDATE:

I went out last night to check the torque on my lugs that were installed by the tire place using torque sticks. THe torque sticks, i was told, cost $500 for a set of three and they are just as good as using a torque wrench. BULL****! THey may cost that much, but they don't work nearly as well. I litterally had to jump on the lug wrench to get most of the lug nuts off! :mad: I'm actually surprised i even have studs left, they should have twisted right off those things were so tight.

Lesson learned, don't trust torque sticks, go behind the people and retorque using a torque wrench.

Lesson learned, don't trust torque sticks, go behind the people and retorque using a torque wrench.

Adding to that, don't trust tire shop torque wrenches or the specs they use, retorque after putting a few miles on them. Tire shop torque wrenches take a lot of abuse and are rarely tested.

Last edited:
concretejungle said:
I'm actually surprised i even have studs left, they should have twisted right off those things were so tight.

Have you ever broken a stud? I have, back in the day of left handed threads on Dodge's. Thought the damn thing was really stuck :doh: .

Anyway it takes more than a little jumping on a lug wrench.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom