Should I replace alternator or just new brushes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to start off by saying that I am new to this forum and I am no expert on cars but I do like to save money by doing things myself. I have a 2001 Lx470 with 193k miles on it. I have had no trouble with there car since I bought it 4 years ago until today. The battery light illuminated right before I returned home. I shut the car off then attempted to turn the car back on to see if the light was still lit. The engine did not try to turnover at all. I had my roommate jump the battery and my car turned on just fine. then, when I took the charging wires off the battery my car slowly began to turn off.

I understand that this is an alternator problem but I was doing some research on this website and saw that I could save money by replacing the brushes instead of the entire alternator. Can someone help me figure out if my alternator is toast or will brush replacement fix my issue?

I replaced my brushes on alternator with 208k miles, works great and was easy. Hardest part was pulling the alternator. Good time to replace belts with OEM.

Old brushes vs. new oem from Witt's End.
IMG_1557.JPG
IMG_1558.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom