Shock Absorber Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting ready to haul out to Montana for the summer, and would love to have this finished before we leave........ Bought the vehicle in January and was told it had a lift...... i don't know what the heck I was thinking and just assumed it was a 4" lift, so ordered a set of Bilsteins. Got to thinking about it and thought maybe i better double check and sure as hell the lift isn't 4. In speaking w Rick @ BTB regarding tie rods, I mentioned to him and he said Bilstein only makes 2 sized for the FJ 40, and that he saw no reason not to use these longer ones, assured me I wouldn't bottom out. Note, my most adventurous drives will be forest service roads and down the 2 track to my cabin. What do you think, eat shipping and send back and get the right ones, or make these work?

Also, taking off 33" 10.5 x 15 TSL Thornbirds with about 3/4 tread and replacing with 235/85r16's, so if any one is looking for some swamp tires let me know.

Bilstein only makes two “kits” for the FJ40 “officially”....
They have other options.
From experience, the 4” kit only works on the front for early 40’s (up to ‘73 IIRC). The rear shock they provide are too long. (Above spring mount v. Below spring mount).
Depending on your year, the front 4” shocks they provided should fit on the rear of your 40, if you have a 2” lift. I do not believe the shocks you have will work on the front. You would have almost zero downward movement.

Measure the shocks compressed length and write it down. Then, measure the 40's shock pin to axle shock pin on flat ground. Now measure the distance between the bump stop and the axle and subtract that from the 40's pin to pin measurement. Compare the 40's numbers to the compressed shock length and determine if the shocks are too long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom