Shifting issues. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Transmission is skipping 2nd gear. Checked the connections that was listed on here and confirmed its electrical.

From the transmission guy working on it. It has a code 63 in it which is a broke wire or a short but doesn't explain why the shift indicator goes off in drive I'm at a loss it could also be the shift sol.

Any ideas on what to try next

If its a 93 to 97, it's been discussed here a lot on other threads. Follow the Neutral Safety Switch wiring harness towards the engine where you will find a barrel connector located above the starter below the PHH. This connector is prone to corrosion and has about 7 or 8 wires that are essential to proper shifting and indicator illumination. Unplug, inspect, clean and only install/splice new wires that are needed around the connector. I had two wires bad in the connector and spliced new wires around the connector and it solved our occasional no 1st gear starts, no reverse lights and no D light illumination. Relatively easy fix. You will need to remove the front driver's tire and inner fender skirting. If all checks out, then research the solenoids.

If its a 93 to 97, it's been discussed here a lot on other threads. Follow the Neutral Safety Switch wiring harness towards the engine where you will find a barrel connector located above the starter below the PHH. This connector is prone to corrosion and has about 7 or 8 wires that are essential to proper shifting and indicator illumination. Unplug, inspect, clean and only install/splice new wires that are needed around the connector. I had two wires bad in the connector and spliced new wires around the connector and it solved our occasional no 1st gear starts, no reverse lights and no D light illumination. Relatively easy fix. You will need to remove the front driver's tire and inner fender skirting. If all checks out, then research the solenoids.
I had him inspect all the wires and we even bought a new neutral safety switch and tried that. I will make sure he checks the wires again and then guess we better try the sol purchase route. thanks a ton.

can anyone tell me which solenoid we should try replacing or should we do them all.

the four solenoids listed are shift 1, shift 2, lock up and the fourth is timing.

+1 worked for me

Code 63 is a solenoid or solenoid wiring. Most likely the solenoid itself.

It's what it felt like.

Did the problem with this connector/wires cause the CEL to illuminate?

Did the problem with this connector/wires cause the CEL to illuminate?

No it didn't. Of course this was on a 94 (OBD1). The CEL may respond different for newer years with OBD2.

Awesome. Was yours also just skipping second gear?

And to be a bit more specific, off the line performance was fine until it was time for the truck to shift to 2nd, I struggled to get it much above 2k RPMS unless I floored it and then it kinda figured itself out. I had this problem for ~9months spoke to several of the land cruiser sages about it then found @SUMMIT CRUISERS posts about the NSS. Within five minutes I was in business. Most satisfying fix ever ha ha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom