Shifter stuck in 4 low (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Decided to test out the 4WD today and I shifted into 4 low and now the shifter is stuck.

I’ve seen other people post about being stuck in 4 high is it the same solution? Pulling the shifter off and soaking it?

I shifted it back and forth between 4 low and 4 high yesterday and it worked fine, although extremely stiff.

Yes I’m stopped, yes it’s in neutral, and I’ve tried rolling it back about 20ish feet

Maybe also try with the truck rolling slowly forward or backwards? I've also had to put other 4wd manual trans vehicles in gear and bump them forward/backward lightly to free up transfer shifts. Don't over-pull on the lever of course but if there is any internal binding going on then rolling, bumping in gear, in both directions, etc. may help you pop it into neutral/high.

Maybe also try with the truck rolling slowly forward or backwards? I've also had to put other 4wd manual trans vehicles in gear and bump them forward/backward lightly to free up transfer shifts. Don't over-pull on the lever of course but if there is any internal binding going on then rolling, bumping in gear, in both directions, etc. may help you pop it into neutral/high.
Lemme give it a shot, I already have it half way taken apart now lol

I know there have been other posts about it, but they all said there’s was stuck in 4H mine was stuck in 4L. It shifted perfectly fine into 4L before getting stuck which led me to believe it was something other than it just being stuck because of corrosion or lack of grease. I was also hoping to find a different solution besides taking all of it apart, which I did.

and since nobody else had posted about that specific issue, I did.

I know there have been other posts about it, but they all said there’s was stuck in 4H mine was stuck in 4L. It shifted perfectly fine into 4L before getting stuck which led me to believe it was something other than it just being stuck because of corrosion or lack of grease. I was also hoping to find a different solution besides taking all of it apart, which I did.

and since nobody else had posted about that specific issue, I did.
I'm unclear regarding what you took apart and what the actual issue is.

Assuming there is nothing sinister going on inside the transfer case, with the shift linkage disconnected and NO LOAD in the drive line, you should be able to easily move the lever on the transfer case by hand between H-N-L from under the truck.
With the linkage disconnected, the shifter in the cab should pretty much flop around with almost no effort.

With everything connected and, again, no load in the drive line, it should take 2 fingers to shift between H-N-L and the same amount of force to go back to H.

Last edited:
I'm unclear regarding what you took apart and what the actual issue is.

Assuming there is nothing sinister going on inside the transfer case, with the shift linkage disconnected and NO LOAD on the drive line, you should be able to easily move the lever on the transfer case by hand between H-N-L from under the truck.
With the linkage disconnected, the shifter in the cab should pretty much flop around with almost no effort.
Yeah I’m not sure what was going on honestly because it shifted effortlessly into 4 low and then just got stuck for some reason. I hadn’t disconnected anything yet I was almost finished pulling out the shifter console when I got it in unstuck so I’m gonna follow some of those other guides and pull everything apart within a couple weeks and try to clean it and make sure none of its broken.

Yeah I’m not sure what was going on honestly because it shifted effortlessly into 4 low and then just got stuck for some reason. I hadn’t disconnected anything yet I was almost finished pulling out the shifter console when I got it in unstuck so I’m gonna follow some of those other guides and pull everything apart within a couple weeks and try to clean it and make sure none of its broken.
Copy that. Good luck and remember to chock the wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom