Second Battery Location? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,

Has anyone started looking at locations for mounting a second battery under the hood of the 460s?

I've been starring at the engine bay and I have a few ideas but I'm curious what anyone else is thinking.

(I checked out the prado builds with second batteries but they don't have the 4.6L engine, nor the emissions, ie secondary air pump, stuff thats under the hood towards the front.)

Here are two ideas.

First is a kit for the 5th gen 4runner. This kit relocates the secondary air pump so that you can put a battery similar to how they have it on the prado builds you have seen. Dual Battery Kit for 2010-2014 FJ Cruiser and 5th Generation 4Runner
http://www.shrockworks.com/Dual-Bat...iser-and-5th-Generation-4Runner-pr-16275.html
Second is to located the second battery between the airbox and the firewall. I have looked under the plastic on my 460 and you can definitely put a battery there. I would however recommend measuring the space before going out and purchasing a battery. Installing a Dual Battery in a 2013 Gen5 4Runner - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

I saw the shrock works battery kit and that may be my best option. I'll have to do some more research and see if the washer fluid filler is in the same place.

I thought about the passenger side back against the firewall but I have a relay/fuse box back there. I'm trying to hunt down a wiring schematic to see exactly what relays are back there.

You could also possibly mount it in the back/trunk like many vehicles like to do these days.

I considered doing that but since interior space is usually at a premium I was hoping to stuff it under the hood.

I emailed ShrockWorks but havent heard back yet.

One thing to maybe consider.

I did an Aussie relocation kit first time around in my first 5th gen (2010) for a second battery , and was very happy with it ( Dual Batteries on the Cheap - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum ). With the kit, the battery, and all the pieces/parts, I was probably around $500-600.

This time around I opted for a solar panel on the rack, a group 31 Northstar battery, and one of those boost jump kits in the event I do kill the battery.

Even with two fridges running it hasn't killed it yet....and I'm going to guess I saved about 80 lbs. in weight

Last edited:
I considered just doing a single battery setup also. I already carry a jump pack. When it warms up a bit I'm going to make up a cardboard box with the same dimensions as this battery SLI31AGMDP - X2Power Premium AGM Car and Truck Battery at Batteries Plus Bulbs.

653743.jpg

I have a 100w solar panel I usually setup when I get to camp that helps put power back into the system also.

Unfortunately, I just installed a brand new chassis battery in December.

Timely. My 460 just left me with a dead battery after a day of skiing. Who knows why. It was making a continuous soft honking. Not the alarm honk. I could not have wanted my old FJ-62 with dual, isolated batteries more. So my 460 will now be getting duals...

One thing to maybe consider.

I did an Aussie relocation kit first time around in my first 5th gen (2010) for a second battery , and was very happy with it ( Dual Batteries on the Cheap - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum ). With the kit, the battery, and all the pieces/parts, I was probably around $500-600.

This time around I opted for a solar panel on the rack, a group 31 Northstar battery, and one of those boost jump kits in the event I do kill the battery.

Even with two fridges running it hasn't killed it yet....and I'm going to guess I saved about 80 lbs. in weight

This is a pretty solid setup, thanks for the DIY!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom