Searching for an old thread about modified axle housing... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mark W

Yep, it's true. I just don't care that much.
Threads
Hey guys, I know... "Use search!" But Iv'e had no luck so far and to make it worse, the connection I am using at the moment is glacier slow. Keeps timing out before even returning any results. :( I am hoping that someone might remember an old thread that I believe was here in the Hardcore forum.

Several years ago someone posted up about a bit of a backyard build they did to achieve a wider front axle. Basically added steering knuckles to an FJ40 rear axle housing.

Anyone remember that thread? The name of it, or who it was or anything at all?

THANKS!

Mark...

I haven’t seen an fj40 rear used as a front yet, maybe I missed the thread.

But I have seen that Redline Land Cruisers has used a semi float fzj80 rear axle as a front and it yielded quite a bit of width.

Is there any specific info your trying to retrieve from the thread?

I wanted to revisit the whole ting to see what was there to be gleaned. Pondering doing something like this myself possibly. I like to try and learn from the adventures/mistakes of those who had gone before me when I can ;)

I have been including '60 series rears in my musing. Had not thought about an '80 rear. I actually have more of those handy than I do '60s. As for '40 rear housings... I would be rich if I could get scrap prices even for those! ;)

Mark...

Found the thread I was looking for and another one too. Yeay!

Mark...

Hey Mark,
Search my user name, I had an old thread where I took a rear housing, cut new ring gear windows, welded up the old ones, put dana 60 inner C's, Ried knuckles, gm outer stuff & brakes, to make a hybrid front with a 60 " wms. We chucked the housing in a giant lathe and turned the ends so they would be true and have proper interferance fit with inner C's. I gusseted the C's a bit and have had no issues with the Toyota tube thickness to date. I welded the C's on both sides. We were able to coax the C's on after some heating in the oven and a little hammer work. You can put the seal holder from a gm front in the toyota housing for inner axle seals or we used a combo of 2 seals to make a great seal that fits in end of tube at the inner C and has a double seal, works well. I had custom inners made with a seal surface right behind the yolk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom