school me on elec window set ups (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive just recieved some prado door trims from Canad today which im going to put in my 79 series for a bit of rareness as there are non in Aus, Mainly so i can run elec windows and have some nice door grab handles and map book pocket holders and turf my crap stock flat vinel trims , obviously with these prado trims will be needing to elec window motors and switchs,
i got the passenger switch holder but no mech and for the drivers door i need the switch holder and mechs, As i have a ute ill need a drivers window switchs from a two door prado ,which will be a slim chance so ill proberly have to run 4door switchs and have the rear two window switchs doing nothings.
Questions
1. Does any know if a std cruiser 79 series loom (Non LX) will have any wiring or plugs in the loom under the dash or to the fuse box allready sitting there to accept a sort of plug and play ,or will i have to run a whole new loom for the window motors and switchs
2.Does any one know if the window motors and glass runner are interchanable between full glass doors and door with the quarter window in them.
3.Does any one know if elec window motors from other landcruisers or toyotas are the same , i think i remeber reading some were that toyota cresseda motors are the same :hmm:
4. Does anyone know if the window mech holder in the post 90 7x series door trims is the same as the 80 series ones they look close .

In Aus we only got elec windows in our mwb and swb heavy duty and bunderas which is only 85-89 and in 02 it was a avl option to order a ute or troopy with them so not to many around so ill proberly be geting bits from a wrecked early one which will more than likely have the full window glass
What are people opinions between haveing the quarta glass and not , any noise difference?

If i keep my quarta window setup ill have to mod the top of the door trims as the go all the way to the top and over the door and that will interfear with the quarta glass from and window runner?
Gotta have a pic ay :D
1f8576d0.jpg

ac3567c8.jpg

:cheers:

I don't mean to be a safety geek but, if you plan on fording threw rivers n' such, I'd say manual windows are safer.

In my experience, there are not that many failures with the electric windows, and only slightly less manual failures when compared to electric window failures.

Run the electrics if you like.

I believe that the 70 and 80 series parts are different as far as the regulators go.

~John

Clint, If you get a chance can you forward a couple of photos of your Cruiser to my email address? "78toyota@gmail.com"
Thanks......1978HJ45

Dammit , I thought "real men" drive 45s , so I thought it would get away with having electric windowe in my 79.

When wheelin and driving my brothers 73 series with the elec windows there great to use.

I'm more a white sand dune, beach and forest warrior than a river crossing wheeler and any rivers around here aren't really above knee height so waters not really a issue.

So 80 series bits no good , I Proberly start to look over seas if any one knows of any bits or part sellers

So any one done the swap or am I the only cruiser princess :D

1. Does any know if a std cruiser 79 series loom (Non LX) will have any wiring or plugs in the loom under the dash or to the fuse box allready sitting there to accept a sort of plug and play ,or will i have to run a whole new loom for the window motors and switchs
2.Does any one know if the window motors and glass runner are interchanable between full glass doors and door with the quarter window in them.
3.Does any one know if elec window motors from other landcruisers or toyotas are the same , i think i remeber reading some were that toyota cresseda motors are the same :hmm:
4. Does anyone know if the window mech holder in the post 90 7x series door trims is the same as the 80 series ones they look close .

In Aus we only got elec windows in our mwb and swb heavy duty and bunderas which is only 85-89 and in 02 it was a avl option to order a ute or troopy with them so not to many around so ill proberly be geting bits from a wrecked early one which will more than likely have the full window glass
What are people opinions between haveing the quarta glass and not , any noise difference?

If i keep my quarta window setup ill have to mod the top of the door trims as the go all the way to the top and over the door and that will interfear with the quarta glass from and window runner?

1, No wiring loom is available for just plug in, you'll have to set up wire by yourself.

2. No problem with inter-change. A door with quarter window cannot run a electric window, you will have to change to full window type.

3. Motor roughly the same, not the regular.

4. Not the same for 70 and 80 series.

1, No wiring loom is available for just plug in, you'll have to set up wire by yourself.

2. No problem with inter-change. A door with quarter window cannot run a electric window, you will have to change to full window type.

3. Motor roughly the same, not the regular.

4. Not the same for 70 and 80 series.

Cool ,
Do you have any closer details of when you converted your 75 series to have elec windows mate,
2. My brothers mwb has quarter windows and elec , I was more wondering about the runners on the bottom of the glass if there interchangeable ,just to know if I come across a cruiser at wreckers with specs but full glass I can still use bits from it

Why not just grab all the parts from a HDJ79 and VDJ79? They have more or less the same door trims with pockets and the same arm rests. HDJ79's also have the quarter vents as do MWB. I would say the main loom is already there, you will probably need the door looms though which are HUGE!

As for the people worried about water, I think it is a non issue, My BJ74 is ~25 years old, windows still work perfect and I have done many deep/prolonged water crossings and the windows have never even given a hiccup. If your worried, put the windows down before entering the water.

Why not just grab all the parts from a HDJ79 and VDJ79? They have more or less the same door trims with pockets and the same arm rests. HDJ79's also have the quarter vents as do MWB. I would say the main loom is already there, you will probably need the door looms though which are HUGE!

As for the people worried about water, I think it is a non issue, My BJ74 is ~25 years old, windows still work perfect and I have done many deep/prolonged water crossings and the windows have never even given a hiccup. If your worried, put the windows down before entering the water.

Any of the hdj 78 &79 and vdj 76 78 79 with factory elec run full glass , were as the rest of the std versions besides the 76 run the quarta glass,
The main reason on not getting a late modle hdj or vdj is because there are non at wreckers that I've found, I seen one wrecked hdj LX 79 and those parts were sold within a day ,
, plenty of wrecked ex miners with the crank handle windows.

what about a setup from the street rod/hot rod shops?
Those guys are always adding elec windows to old rides that had quarter windows and such.
I know there must be generic kits out there with the motor/regulator and switches

Wong,
I would have liked wire loom details but if the STD loom isn't plug and play for elec windows to be added in I'll make my own loom using as much Toyota bits as possible

.The hot rod shops might be the go for some bitS, if i can't get them in Toyota parts I'll look into it.
I have a autosprkie mate so I'll be having a chat with him to see what he thinks aswell.

Any one know were I can get a hold of post 1990 RHD drivers side window switchs for a two door cruiser swb,mwb, troopy or ute ,?

Wong,
I would have liked wire loom details but if the STD loom isn't plug and play for elec windows to be added in I'll make my own loom using as much Toyota bits as possible

.The hot rod shops might be the go for some bitS, if i can't get them in Toyota parts I'll look into it.
I have a autosprkie mate so I'll be having a chat with him to see what he thinks aswell.

Any one know were I can get a hold of post 1990 RHD drivers side window switchs for a two door cruiser swb,mwb, troopy or ute ,?

As far as I know, no wiring loom is available for plug in for HZJ75 and HZJ79. I don't know about FZJ79, I think more or less the same. HDJ and VDJ, no idea about them. What I did was, I created another set of wiring loom for just this power window and mirror without disturbing the original wiring.

Clint, this 2 button switch is not easy to get hold of. Do be careful when you get one. As 24v and 12v have different switch. Just flip over and look at bottom of the switch. 12v with transparent cover and 24v with black cover.:rolleyes:

This is a 12v master switch assembly with transparent cover.;)

Thanks a heap for the pics and specs Wong ,now I'll just pm you my details and you can send the switch mechs and plastic surround to me :D

Is there any reason why you can't use a 24v switch mech in a 12v cruiser if there just switchs.

I have heard of some guy here in Aus changing his 24v import vx61 series to 12v just changed alternator and batterie lead setup and suposably left the rest as is , is that possible?.

Well here is the start
All genuine toyota parts with elec windows with the quarter glass and full size trim
e20cdca2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom