samurai carb swaps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im looking at swapping carbs and wondering where to find toyota carbs ? i found a bunch of weber carbs no problem but i've read that the weber carbs are great for performance on road, but not so great off road. my samurai as of now is street legal although it probably shouldn't be . I am having serious carb problems and don't know what to do . my current situation is i want to have my sammy down here (NORFOLK) with me and be able to tow it behind my everday driver / more dependable dodge dakota. I would like to be able to get decent gas mileage around town which anything better than 15mpg would be great to me, but still be capable off road . I've heard that the webers are terrible on the inclines or declines depending on what direction you install it. I have also heard that the toyota carbs are really great don't require to much modifying to fit and are great off road and on gas mileage, my question here is where to get them in the US. I am in virginia and we have a few junk yards around but noone keeps much around older than the 89-90 years very rarely will you see anything older. so my question is where to get the toyota carbs? and whos had experience with both? any input would help
thanks sorry for the novel
P.S. Im a college kid so money is always tight. but im very resourceful
also I got two samurais for 500 bucks so deals are my middle name

in Canada we got the Aisin carb not the hitachi which the US recieved .

do you have any 3 cylinder chevy sprints down there ,up here they used the same aisin carb as the samurai. mybe you might find an Aisin carb .they run great at all angles . just a thought. they might bolt right on .

I don´t know about the climate over there, but i can tell you we ran a weber setup on a SJ 413 a couple of years ago, and it went almost straight vertical on rough hills, without any hesitation.

My friend is rebuilding a SJ now, and we will def go for a weber setup on that.

If you want to beef up the output tho, see if you can find an old Volvo b23 engine at a wrecker. A little sledgehammer action, and a little bit of welding, and it pops right in. Goes like the dogs bollocks. =)

I ran a weber 32/36 on my 87 and had no problems. Just need to make sure the float is set correctly. I would get 20-25 mpg depending on what I was doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom