Saginaw to Vortec connections (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Back to the well of knowledge again..... I did a search, but was unable to find any hard answers.

I'm trying to plumb the power steering part of the project and need some help.

The project has a PSC Saginaw box installed on the frame, and a Turnkey 5.3 under the hood. PSC sent a few inverted flare to -6 power steering adapters and 90 degree reusable hidraulic fittings. I called Turnkey to ask what type of fitting attaches to the pump. They told me that it should have been included with the motor, and that they would send it out. What arrived was a similar O-ring fitting to AN part, but it didn't want to thread into place. After a little comparison with the fittings on the box, it was obvious that the low pressure fitting supplied by PSC threaded easily into the pump. After a little more comparison of the female port on the pump to the low pressure port on the box, it appears that the sealing surfaces inside the connections are different.

Does the pump take an inverted flare or O-ring?

Is it metric or standard?

Any help would be much appreciated.
DSC07006.jpg
DSC07005.jpg
DSC07002.jpg

Late model Chev pump will be 16 or 18mm O-ring. I'll try to dig out what I used and add it to this post.

For future reference, I think you can go to the Rockauto interactive catalog and look up a vehicle with your year/model engine, find the power steering hoses for that engine/vehicle, and look at the specs of the hoses for the fitting sizes. If the fitting size isn't listed, you can always take the part number(s) from the hoses listed and look them up at the manufacturer's site(s).

Edit: The pressure fitting adapter for the stock pump on my '96 5.7l is a #6 X 16MM 1.5 O-RING. I used 555-100705 from Jegs.

If you have an older model sag box, which is common, it might have a 5/8-18 inverted flare low pressure fitting and a 11/16-18 inverted flare high pressure fitting. I do think it may be possible to thread a 5/8-18 fitting into a 16mm connection, which would explain why your box fitting seemed to fit the pump. You of course would want to use the correct metric fitting.

555-100705 - JEGS High Performance

Last edited:
Yes, there are O ring and inverted flare fittings.
Can you take a pic of the inside where the pump high pressure line goes? It'll be easier to see if there is an inverted flare fitting in there or not.

I talked to tech support at PSC on Monday morning. They agreed with spotcruiser so I ordered fittings and plumbed the system last night.

As always, thanks for all the help.

how do you plan to plumb the return hose to the pump? rubber hose with screw on clamp? I have a similar setup except its on a 1999 5.7 vortec... I'm running AN fittings and hose ...except where the hose connects to the GM hard line that feeds (low pressure) back to the resivor (see metal hard line in post 2 above...similar hard line on older model GM 5.7)... At present I'm using a nipple to an type adapter fitting and then to a short length of rubber type hose but I'm concerned about the nipple fitting reducing the ID and thereby reducing the flow/cooling?

For the high side I use a OEM GM PS hose to mate to the p/s pump and then had an AN fitting placed on the end to mate to the AN adapters I use at the steering gear.

What are you guys doing on the low pressure side for plumbing? I run an aftermarket ps cooler on the low pressure side out in front of the A/C condenser.

I purchased the 16mm by 1.5 O-ring adapter mentioned above, and a -6AN 90 degree push on fitting.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AER-FBM1442

I length of 3/8" hose and some clamps, and Bob's yer uncle.

edit: the low pressure side of my box was drilled for the metric O-ring connection.
DSC07010.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom