Safari Turbo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kay

Threads
Hi everyone

I am looking at a 1985 automatic diesel 2H, it has a Safari turbo.

Anyone had much to do with these?

The Safari website does not have any info on them anymore(too old probably),and I have done some searching. The current owner has had it for 17+ years and is a mechanic and said the turbo kit was made for the 2H. He put on but didn't know how much boost its running. The truck has done 230,000kms and look very tidy for its age.

Thanks

Kay

safari turbo.jpeg

A previous owner of my 2H added a turbo to it resulting in a blown motor that had to be re-built. the turbo has not been put back. Some research will tell you that the non turbo diesels are not designed to work with turbos. I am sure I will be corrected but something to do with compression ratios etc. If it is a low boost then it's probably OK. Checking cylinder compression is very important. Any deviation on any cylinder would be cause for concern. Same goes for the 1HZ

Some 2h engines will turbo some wont but after 17 years yours must be a good engine. The engine does look clean and 230.000 K is very low meaning the engine has plenty of life left in it. The 60 series wagons like to rust around roof gutter area normally starting above the rear sliding windows so take a fridge magnet and run it along both sides.
If it has original paint with no rust buy it. :)

The safari turbo has a very desirable twin scroll manifold meaning 3 cylinders feed one side and 3 feed the other side but parts for the Garrett turbo are no longer available. I'm guessing you could rebuild with seals only if needed. I brought one of these turbo's for my 2h but decided to go a 12ht instead. Like above don't let the truck slip if it's in good condition as there are twin scroll turbo that will suit this manifold.

Check the compression.

The 2H piston rings (especially when turboed) will eat into the ring lands and cause compression loss. This usually happens around 300,000km, so you may have a ways to go...OR the turbo will have accelerated the wear and you may be due for a rebuild soon...

The good thing is that even if it needs a rebuild because of the pistons, if it has been otherwise cared well for, the engine should be in perfect shape to rebuild- and you can/should/must use Alfin style pistons- with steel reinforcements on the ring lands.

Either way, the compression test is a vital part of your decision!

Thanks for all your help guys.

I will do some more research/learning about the twin scroll.

Yeh I understand the problems 2h can have being turbo-ed, such a gamble. Would love to find a 12ht but have had no luck.

No rust from what I could see and gave it a good looking over. Its an older owner which he uses it to get to a creek for fresh water fishing so does not do many kms in it and seems looked after. Leaf springs are pretty much horizontal.

The turbo has has been on for less then 90,000 kms.

I did notice a crack in the exhaust manifold which has already had some welding too it, not sure if this is a different from the standard and would of been put on with the turbo? and hard to find...

Cheers
IMG_3653.JPG
IMG_3651.JPG

Also the owner said the cylinder compression was fine. But I am trying to organize a mechanic to test properly.

that manifold probably came with the turbo, so you'd have to have it welded up again- odd though, if the crack went all the way through you'd likely see soot coming out from the exhaust leak- maybe the crack is only superficial?

Sorry for lack of update been busy with work and the new Truck :)

Drove it back home after buying (4 hours) and didn't miss a beat! Currently weekend driver have done some short road trips.

The crack in the manifold has not got worse,PO said it has been that way for years. I will probably just cover it up with wrap when it comes to car inspection times. No soot comes out, but you can feel some heat coming from the crack when the engine has been running and you run your hand above the crack.

I have a few drawings of the Safari turbo set up if anyone is interested in me posting them up?
It was called 'Safari Split Pulse' back in the day still researching on the whole set up. Anyone know what boost they run at?

Now going through the list of things I would like to do to it....Looking into a exhaust temp and maybe a boost gauge next.
Cheers
GetAttachmentThumbnail

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom