Rust reversal theory and how to sandblast? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do the coin - op carwashes out in the salt belts do anything functional for undercarriges?

Out West ours are purely cosmetic / 3 sides -- seems a real deal pressurized unit that really blasts the snot out of your undercarriage would be a hot seller for you all in the Midwest & NE areas.

Hot as fook too, for all you digging out of that last flurry in the East, melt the crap out of the icicles full of road salt.

Can't resist a rust thread!

I had my underbody blasted and painted. Starburst sand, I believe was the product. Epoxy primer, polyurethane top coat.

Before:

After:

Obviously, t-case won't rust but you get the idea.

Obviously, t-case won't rust but you get the idea.

So did you have it blasted? What did they use? I am nervous about hiring one of those dust free guys because while it seems like they do a great job of blasting, I am worried it might be too aggressive.

I am leaning more towards the route Linus has. I like the idea of owning the blaster, as I am sure I could find plenty of uses for it.

Your truck looks great though!

Last edited:
Do the coin - op carwashes out in the salt belts do anything functional for undercarriges?

Out West ours are purely cosmetic / 3 sides -- seems a real deal pressurized unit that really blasts the snot out of your undercarriage would be a hot seller for you all in the Midwest & NE areas.

Hot as fook too, for all you digging out of that last flurry in the East, melt the crap out of the icicles full of road salt.

Some of them do. I have a rechargeable wash card with Kwik Trip, which is a popular gas station chain here. They have a brand new wash at the one I go to. I pay for the top end wash and I use the one that has the mechanical brush things(I know I risk paint damage, but I have been using these for years and have never had a problem. I think they give a better wash than just the ones that spray). It has a little burst of water as you drive in, but I think it's pretty weak. I try to stop at the do-it-yourself joint and get under there for a good rinse once in while during the winter. I usually do the oil coverage in the spring and the fall and I run the garden hose with the sprinkler under it for a half hour before I let it dry and re-apply the mix.

Soda is good for paint but will not take off rust as it is too soft. A siphon blaster will work fine just a bit slow if your compressor is small. There are siphon blasters that work with a power washer too, not sure how they work though. I used my small pressure blaster (like 40ish cfm) at my shop and blasted the back half of my 80 (still have to do the front). Big sandy mess but worked great. For paint, try Chassis Saver brand. It works as well as POR 15 at much lower cost. As far as keeping it nice, just spray the bottom with your favorite oil and hit the car wash a lot in the winter. My white 80 is really nice underneath after a Michigan life, just taken care of from day one.
View attachment 1422767 View attachment 1422768 View attachment 1422769 View attachment 1422770

Wow! This looks incredible. Did you take the body off at any time, or did you just carefully brush around everything?

I used some POR15 on my 62 back in the day. That truck was rustier than the one I have now though, so I never really had a chance of getting back to less rusty. Any idea how long that took you?

Soda is good for paint but will not take off rust as it is too soft. A siphon blaster will work fine just a bit slow if your compressor is small. There are siphon blasters that work with a power washer too, not sure how they work though. I used my small pressure blaster (like 40ish cfm) at my shop and blasted the back half of my 80 (still have to do the front). Big sandy mess but worked great. For paint, try Chassis Saver brand. It works as well as POR 15 at much lower cost. As far as keeping it nice, just spray the bottom with your favorite oil and hit the car wash a lot in the winter. My white 80 is really nice underneath after a Michigan life, just taken care of from day one.
View attachment 1422767 View attachment 1422768 View attachment 1422769 View attachment 1422770
Killer truck lift

So did you have it blasted? What did they use? I am nervous about hiring one of those dust free guys because while it seems like they do a great job of blasting, I am worried it might be too aggressive.

I am leaning more towards the route Linus has. I like the idea of owning the blaster, as I am sure I could find plenty of uses for it.

Your truck looks great though!

Looks like I was mistaken; its Starblast not Starburst. Starblast™ and Starblast™ XL Blasting Abrasives

I had the entire underbody blasted. Guy did a good job; I did have to replace a hard brake line due to a leak but I'm in New England, YMMV

I also had it painted white and the difference it makes being able to see under there is non-trivial.

Wow! This looks incredible. Did you take the body off at any time, or did you just carefully brush around everything?

I used some POR15 on my 62 back in the day. That truck was rustier than the one I have now though, so I never really had a chance of getting back to less rusty. Any idea how long that took you?
Thank you. I pulled the springs out and powder coated those, and just used a small paint gun (jamb gun) with a little masking and using a piece of cardboard in my other hand to mask my way along as I sprayed. I did do a little follow up with a brush.
Being up in the air was a huge help.

I power washed it on Friday afternoon, blasted Saturday morning, powerwashed it with cleaner/iron phosphate (how we pretreat metal in the powder coat shop), air chucked the drippyness off and let it air dry, painted two coats on Sunday.

Killer truck lift
That was a little wierd but worked great. I picked it up with a 12,500lb capacity lift then backed it up with two 5000lb lifts since i was standing under there.

Has anyone tried archoil 5100? I came across a youtube video from Jay Lenos garage and this stuff looks like a miracle cure? It looks like your supposed to take parts off and soak for 8 hours or so but theres also an option to use it in a pressure washer, if anyone has any experience with it let me know? I think I'm going to give it a shot as my hole undercarriage is good and crusty!

Is this your before and after pics?

dogfish, that is a nice ass.

But seriously, did you dismantle everything under there to paint it?

If you run a blaster. You can buy the cheapo siphon feeds. They will work finE. Just need to refill. Better to rent one of those trailer compressors for a day though. Start early and you'll be able to finish in no time. Using an undersized compressor is a waste of time imho.

dogfish, that is a nice ass.

But seriously, did you dismantle everything under there to paint it?
Not too much really, pretty much just took out the springs. A mid size blaster is really good for this, like a small pressure pot type. I did use my big 185cfm diesel compressor but not the big blaster, it was too much. A decent sized smaller unit would get it done.

Paint was just minimal taping, and using a cardboard guide with one hand and a jamb gun in the other (I painted the crap out of my hand).

I agree with the other guys- that lift system is awesome. I need to buy a couple of forklifts.... just for s***s and giggles.

dogfish, what do you think about using this as a wet blaster?
Karcher Sandblasting Kit for K Series Pressure Washers
Amazon.com : Karcher K5 Electric Power Pressure Washer, Yellow, 2000 Psi, 1.4 GPM : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Yeah, I know, electric ain't exactly powerful, but I'm not looking to do a ton of work with it....

It might work. I think I bought one from Northern Tool a couple of years ago that is universal and put it on my Hotsy pressure washer that we use to wash/phosphate parts with. In true A.D.D. fashion, I messed with it a little and never went back to it. Kinda forgot about it til now. I like the concept. If you can find the soap/phosphate material to add to it you will etch and iron phosphate the metal while you are at it. That is a perfect base material for the Chassis Saver paint.

Can't resist a rust thread!

I had my underbody blasted and painted. Starburst sand, I believe was the product. Epoxy primer, polyurethane top coat.

Before:

After:
Here are 1st 5 pix after BlastAll got a hold of SGTPEP

Blast 1.jpg

Blast 2.jpg

Blast 3.jpg

Blast 4.jpg

Blast 5.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom