Rust reventative (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

steveola

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
I've looked all over, but probably missed it. Has anybody used Cosmoline RP-342 Heavy Military undercoating to revent rust on their 40?

1638990579953.png

I have heard of those. They seem to be pretty popular. The cosomoline apparently is used on marine applications where the environment is super salty. It's suppsed to stay on until you wash it with a solvent like mineral spirits or something like that.

In a life long ago I worked in a heavy equipment business that salvaged parts off (mostly) Caterpillar equipment. After cleaning parts we'd give everything a good coating of cosmoline. I don't know if it was your RP-342 formula as we'd have it in 55 gallon drums.

It was applied to parts that were moved to inventory -- both in and outdoors. Indoor applications held up rather well over the years, but like anything in the elements the outdoor application would break down over time.

For what its worth when I bought a new 4WD vehicle (I'll dare not mention the brand here ;) ) I put it up on the lift and coated the entire underside with the stuff. I think it did act as a good barrier for the first couple of years but has definitely thinned out with time. Probably needs reapplied every three to four years or so.

It also has quite a scent to it. . . the Mrs. was not thrilled that I made our first newly purchased vehicle stink. :)

In a life long ago I worked in a heavy equipment business that salvaged parts off (mostly) Caterpillar equipment. After cleaning parts we'd give everything a good coating of cosmoline. I don't know if it was your RP-342 formula as we'd have it in 55 gallon drums.

It was applied to parts that were moved to inventory -- both in and outdoors. Indoor applications held up rather well over the years, but like anything in the elements the outdoor application would break down over time.

For what its worth when I bought a new 4WD vehicle (I'll dare not mention the brand here ;) ) I put it up on the lift and coated the entire underside with the stuff. I think it did act as a good barrier for the first couple of years but has definitely thinned out with time. Probably needs reapplied every three to four years or so.

It also has quite a scent to it. . . the Mrs. was not thrilled that I made our first newly purchased vehicle stink. :)
I think the RP-342 is the same thing but formulated to use on a spray can. If I remember, cosmoline stinks pretty bad. The smell might be a real peoblem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom