Rust reparied, Herculiner sprayed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Replaced a lot of sheet metal, rear sill, and I am finally done with the tub interior. Right now, I am just going to rattle can the exterior with Zero Rust tan. Hope to get some real paint on it next spring, but hey, it's just a trail rig.

A few pics in the clubhouse if anyone wants to see.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=106685

2 coats. No thinner. I honestly wouldn't have wanted it any thinner! It was hard to keep from pooling at the bottom of vertical surfaces like the rear fender wells. I think the key is a very thin first coat, especially in those type of areas, and then you can be aggressive with the second coat. I also bumped from 40 to 60psi, and had better results. It's pretty hard to get up underneath the hardtop rails and around the kick vents, other than that it's easy...just real damn messy!

That is a beautiful job. I really wish under the carpet that they came from the factory like this.

Thanks Martin. I was pleased considering I just bought a welder and went to it. It was a painfully slow process right up until the end. But at least now I won't have rust orange stains in my driveway every time it rains.

I am considering doing the exact same thing with my 40. Several questions..

1. What brand bed liner material did you buy and where ?

2. Black is probably only color available for the DIY guy?

3. Based on a comment in your thread, you sprayed with a gun (I've seen rattle can bed liner, but don't know how good it is.) Is it difficult to clean out spray gun?

4. How did you prep surface before spraying..did you have good paint or did sand and prime before laying down bed liner.

PS.. great job!!

Thanks....dogman

1. Herculiner kit, Pep Boys - ON SALE (69.99-20.00 mail-in rebate)
2. Didn't research, I wanted black. I think a few DIY like Hippo Liner offer colors. Not sure though.
3. I used a Schutz gun I bought from a local automotive paint store. I found them through SEM's website, any SEM distributor will carry this gun, most likely. www.dominionsureseal.com/
4. I had a lot of rust in the rear sill, floorboards, kick panels, etc. I cut it out and welded in new metal where it was bad. Where it wasn't as bad, I wire wheeled w/ a 4in grinder to bare metal an used POR-15, following their directions to the letter. It seems to be very effective where there is any pitting on the metal, but don't use it on new or shiney areas...I found it will peel. The only areas I did not remove the paint completely was the area b/w the rear fender wells and hard top rails b/c it was in really good shape. In those areas, I used a ScotchBrite pad, per Herculiner's prep direcetions.

Thanks! Good luck, if you have any more ?'s, I'll try to answer b/c this was a real learning process for me.

so I looked at that link and it looks like a shutz gun is just a regular gun but with a larger opening for the rubber particles,

I have a cheapo gun that came with my compressor and am wondering if I can use this, has anyone used a gun like this one for undercoating and how did it work? Mine has two tips, one that has 3 small openings and one that has one "notch" opening up and down.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92841

Noah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom