Rust Prevention on 75 Series Troopy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, I tried searching but couldn't really find what I was looking for.

I recently purchased an older 1989 75 series Troopy in need of a little TLC to restore and convert to a tourer/camper style setup, and learn a bit more about how to do some general repair work myself in anticipation of a larger trip with the missus around Aus once borders open up.

I've just had the mechanical work finished up on her, and now moving onto tackling and preventing any rust thats cropping up (shes in surprisingly good shape considering her age!). After taking up the old factory insulation, ive found scattered bits of rust in the bottom of the tray, mostly just small patches of surface rust where dirt and moisture has accumulated over the years, with two more serious looking points just beginning to eat through (less that 5mm hole).

Im learning everything for the first time as I go at the moment so apologies if what im asking is a bit stupid, I've been using the KBS rust sealing kit that was recommended by a friend to convert and seal the larger surface rusted areas which so far has been fine. My question is; what is the best practise as far as prevention goes? Is it better to seal and respray rust patches as they present and try to keep the factory painted surface where possible? Or would it be better just to sand down and seal the entire tray?

Bearing in mind this is on the inside of the tray, I plan to prime and roughly spray back over it anyway once I've covered off the rust before laying down some sound deadening and some sort of marine carpet. Im just conscious of getting carried away and making it a bigger job than it needs to be!

Theres also one or two small bubble spots on the exterior paint work, but im getting those and the more serious rust in the tray done professionally at a panel and paint place down the road!

Any additional advice on good products to use or anything to look out for would also be greatly appreciated!

Photos to follow once im back at home!

Thanks again in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom