Rust on FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's nice but I bet that has never had a head gasket done and I'd only pay $10k-$11k for that. Just because all that extra maintenance has been done doesn't inflate the price that much

Relatively deep pockets. I hope to do some maintenance on this truck myself, but the rust work sounds like real hell, and I don't have the space to do something like that.

Also looking at something like this Used 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser for sale in Seattle, WA 98134: Sport Utility Details - 482650001 - Autotrader
The second truck is probably a better platform but the first one had a little more work done to it. The second would be pretty turn key if you are looking for a stocker.

Everyone knows their budget, it was more just a friendly warning that at this point, most of these need some work. Both the ones you've shown have had some of that stuff done, but not all of it. I would still swap every fluid on the second one and plan on something else cropping up. The power seats are known troublemakers and those look original.

Thanks a lot for the perspective though. Everyone on this forum is very nice and generous with their knowledge.
We are a helpful bunch for the most part as long as you stay respectful of different opinions and can make an effort to see where the other person is coming from.

I think the general consensus here has become to buy the truck in the best shape for what you want to afford. Don't worry about locked vs. unlocked. Cloth is better, no sunroof, running boards and roof rack are better still. 1FZ-FE over 3FE and there is an ongoing debate about whether '93-'94 is better(especially '94 since it uses R134A as refrigerant in the A/C system) with OBDI and no airbags or '95-'97 with airbags, no PAIR and an MAF rather than AFM and OBDII. If you wait and don't really have a set budget, very, very nice trucks come up for sale. Be prepared to spend up to $20K or even more in some cases for one of those. If you are more in the less than $20K crowd but above the $5K mark, you'll have to decide if you want mods like bumpers or lift kits or you would rather buy something stockisher that has had a lot of general work done to it. I have fully replaced the braking system, the exhaust system, rebuilt the top end of the motor, did the front knuckle service, and a million little projects to repair or replace anything that showed any wear that would prevent the truck from lasting another 25 years. All I have left is an A/C refresh and to get the new gas tank fitted and I will be set beyond normal wear and tear like brake pads and fluid changes for a long time, but there will still be leaks to chase and stuff that crops up.

Plus, you'll want to consider stock piling parts you think you might need like a spare ECU or any of the other parts on the growing list of NLA parts from Toyota if the plan is to keep the truck for the long haul like so many of us have chosen to do.

Just go in with eyes wide open and research the features you want and be ready to pull the trigger when the right rig comes along. Plan on getting an FSM for the year you buy right away and set aside money for tools that you will need. Get your workspace sorted and think about how you will get around if the 80 is down for repairs, especially at first. Having a second car to use to run to the LAPS is really nice.

Bumping um this thread. What do you guys think of this?

First time buying an 80 series LC. I already own a 200 series. I like the general condition of this rig, but the rust really scares me (I am from Texas). I don’t like the price, so plan to negotiate it - especially because of the rust. Seller says it has been stripped and resealed with epoxy primer. Is this the right way to mitigate the rust?

Thank you all in advance.

First time buying an 80 series LC. I already own a 200 series. I like the general condition of this rig, but the rust really scares me (I am from Texas). I don’t like the price, so plan to negotiate it - especially because of the rust. Seller says it has been stripped and resealed with epoxy primer. Is this the right way to mitigate the rust?

No personal knowledge of that truck but know it has been listed for a long time in a very hot cruiser market. That says something

John

Entire ownership history was a combination of CT, MI and NY. I would avoid just based on that. The rust doesn't look particularly bad from the photos but they are definitely playing with the lighting on those undercarriage photos. I'd keep looking.

From somebody that was originally from Grand Rapids and having relatives that live there, I've followed several vehicles over the past few years, listed for sale or on auctions from that company. I was thinking if interested I could have them inspected. My BIL was familiar with the company and cautioned me to look elsewhere as their reputation was polish them up, take nice photos, ask big prices but never address required maintenance.

The pictures on this one seem to match that assessment. Under carriage doesn't look horrible but looks to be covered by some type coating leaving areas near the wheels untreated. The engine compartment is not particularly cleaned very well. The radiator top tank has turned from black to brown indicating certain failure in the near future. Most rubber hoses look to be original and need of replacement. On the interior, seats look OK in most pictures but some show cracks in the leather. The fake wood trim is delaminated and will need to be removed/replaced before long.

FWIW I'm 99% sure that truck was on CL earlier this year for $16.5k. I was looking for an 80 and spoke with the seller. Posts above highlighting issues are spot on, what I gathered from the seller is it's a solid driver but not a lot of PM done and the undercoating is a red flag. I told him I was in the 10-12 range and that was the end.

You can find a similar truck for a lot less $, or put it this way, for what they're asking you can get a rust free 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom