Rust Conversion / Prevention (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to share my recent experience with rust conversion / prevention. When I purchased it ~4 yrs ago I didn't think the rust was that bad considering it had spent all of its life in NY / Northeast, but I knew at some point I would need to address (it was only $1600 so I couldn't pass it up). Instead of just using Fluid Film or Cosmoline over the rust, I wanted to try a conversion or prevention product. POR15 seemed like the go-to product for this, but I wasn't willing to do the necessary prep work on my back under the truck. After searching here and other forums I came across Corroseal. I prepped the surface with a power washer and angle grinding and focused mostly on the frame, diffs, axles, control arms anything easily accessed by the grinder. After that I applied the Corroseal with a brush. Below are a couple of after photos.

IMG_0059.jpeg

IMG_0060.jpeg

Next, I wanted find a product that would provide continued protection since Corroseal only gives a paintable surface. After searching various forums I ended up choosing Chassis Saver satin black. Two coats Chassis Saver paint was applied with a brush. Photos of the finished product are below. Overall I am happy with the results. Still have quite a few areas to touch up (gas tank cover for sure). Will still probably use fluid film or cosmoline for extra protection.

IMG_0067.jpeg

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

I used KBS coatings on mine, has held up excellent and the UV resistant top coat still has it's gloss. There are so many products out there to use nowadays.

I used KBS coatings on mine, has held up excellent and the UV resistant top coat still has it's gloss. There are so many products out there to use nowadays.

Thanks @Offroader93 ! I might check that out and try it out on a different part of the vehicle. For the bumper I used a combination of Rustoleum rust reformer and chassis saver paint, so we will see how it compares to the frame long term.

What do you guys think about using Corroseal or KBS coatings on sliders?

I don't see why you couldn't treat the slider with Corroseal then paint it. When I originally bought my Trailgear bumper I let it rust then clear coated for "patina". Apparently I didn't do a good job with the clear because it continued to rust, so I recently treated with Rustoleum rust reformer then put Chassis saver paint over it.

Before
IMG_3828.JPG

After

IMG_0072.JPG

Thanks @Offroader93 ! I might check that out and try it out on a different part of the vehicle. For the bumper I used a combination of Rustoleum rust reformer and chassis saver paint, so we will see how it compares to the frame long term.

You're welcome! I personally always bring this product up whenever someone asks about coatings, due to my own success using them. I did por15 on my old 4runner without doing much prep, and the Arizona sun made it all chalky and started to peel off. I have heard good things about Rustoleum and chassis saver, I just do not know about their UV resistant capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom