Events/Trails Run to Tuscon wash 2/22/2020 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone done the Tucson wash at Mammoth. Got a trail guide book for Christmas and I saw this one and it looks quite interesting. It is rated as an easy trail and is roughly 17 miles 2-3 hours ( the guide books description not mine). My dad is coming during the rodeo and I am planning doing this trail that weekend. He is not an off road enthusiast or a cruiser head but I thought that it might be fun to show him some cruisers and some Arizona trails. It is a through trail that starts in Mammoth and ends just outside of Oracle, with a chance to go up a steeper section to a scenic overlook. If anyone has done it or would like to do it I am going the weekend of February 22nd. We are going to meet for staging and airing down at circle k in Mammoth at 9

Last edited:
Has anyone done the Tucson wash at Mammoth. Got a trail guide book for Christmas and I saw this one and it looks quite interesting. It is rated as an easy trail and is roughly 17 miles 2-3 hours ( the guide books description not mine). My dad is coming during the rodeo and i was thinking of doing this that weekend. He is not an off road enthusiast or a cruiser head but I thought that it might be fun to show him some cruisers and some Arizona trails. It seems as the trail is an out and back and not a through trail. If anyone has done it or would like to do it I am looking at the weekend of February 26th.
For a short run a road to the Tucson Wash used to go from Tiger Road on highway 77 all the way into Mammoth. Hve not run it in many years tho so it might have been blocked off by the ranches in the center.

For a longer run Tucson Wash continues on to the west and connects with Freeman road which connects to Willow Springs.

1577447508268.png

1577447635457.png

For a short run a road to the Tucson Wash used to go from Tiger Road on highway 77 all the way into Mammoth. Hve not run it in many years tho so it might have been blocked off by the ranches in the center.

For a longer run Tucson Wash continues on to the west and connects with Freeman road which connects to Willow Springs.

View attachment 2166895
View attachment 2166896
right now it looks as though everything south of the wash is now private land but does go from mammoth to US 77

My back yard per se...
I have traveled it a bit, even where I taught the kids how to wheel a stick shift in the 40. Used to take it to the back side of the neighborhood but has been locked out by local ranchers recently.
One of my favorites is Northwest of tiger mine road to Putman wash and out towards Antelope Peak. Easily spend a day out there exploring.

IIRC, those apartments in the background ended up with a 2-3 foot water stain on the exterior.:eek:

trying to shoot for the 2-22-20
I'd like to find the way to get a Wednesday off, let me know how. ;)
Don't plan this around me, but if it happens on Sat., the 25th, sounds like fun.

I'd like to find the way to get a Wednesday off, let me know how. ;)
Don't plan this around me, but if it happens on Sat., the 25th, sounds like fun.
Yes it would be Saturday morning

My bad, looking at January. I may pre-run this to see if there is any access issues. :hmm:

My dad is however a geocacher (on that hand so am I) so he will probably want to find some geocaches along the way so there me be some "random" stopping

Last edited:
I have run that trail, but I knew it as Tar Wash. It's pretty and really only has one techy section. Fun trail.

Per comment in that video...if there is no barricade or warning sign.....are folks then off the hook on the stupid motorist law...since nothing was "posted"? Despite being a dumbass?

Per comment in that video...if there is no barricade or warning sign.....are folks then off the hook on the stupid motorist law...since nothing was "posted"? Despite being a dumbass?
Not posted then you just pay the dumba$$ tax - lose yer car🚗 and/or lose yer life:skull:

I’ve run Tucson wash 5 times in the last 1.5 years. There is a very cool loop that can be done which I recommend. I may be down to do this. There are 2 slightly tricky spots on the loop. One is a small drop ledge. Not a problem really. The other is a squeeze between large rocks. This is more tricky and stacking rocks helps. A spotter is a very good idea at that spot.

I’ve run Tucson wash 5 times in the last 1.5 years. There is a very cool loop that can be done which I recommend. I may be down to do this. There are 2 slightly tricky spots on the loop. One is a small drop ledge. Not a problem really. The other is a squeeze between large rocks. This is more tricky and stacking rocks helps. A spotter is a very good idea at that spot.
I was thinking of doing it point to point, at least that is what my guide book says, and finish going down tiger road. But a loop sounds good too

Last edited:
Stocker friendly, pinstriping?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom