Rubithon 35 - new dates Sept 6-10. See new post (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

woooody

el Jefe
Threads
Hi

Registration is well underway, the Wednesday Wagon run filled the 2nd day of registrations, and we are getting close on the Mini/4Runner run. We are expecting a good turnout, but there have been concerns about our record Tahoe snowfall.
I have been working with our trail leads, and locals, and we will know how wet the trail will be as we get closer to the event.
We know that the exit past Cadillac to Tahoma is where we have faced snow drifts in the past. The difference this year is the abundance of people snow wheeling now. We feel we will be crossing packed snow instead of fresh trail.
Jeff from the Mog Crew is planning to make some pre-runs from Tahoe to begin the clearing of the trail by Memorial Day, which is 3 weeks before the first groups are planing to go in. Bottom line is that we are maintaining the dates, and will get everything in.
Don’t wait to register. Cut off is May 19th to be able to guarantee shirts and hoodies. After that, there will be a $25 late fee until we close registrations on June 9th.

Hi

Registration is well underway, the Wednesday Wagon run filled the 2nd day of registrations, and we are getting close on the Mini/4Runner run. We are expecting a good turnout, but there have been concerns about our record Tahoe snowfall.
I have been working with our trail leads, and locals, and we will know how wet the trail will be as we get closer to the event.
We know that the exit past Cadillac to Tahoma is where we have faced snow drifts in the past. The difference this year is the abundance of people snow wheeling now. We feel we will be crossing packed snow instead of fresh trail.
Jeff from the Mog Crew is planning to make some pre-runs from Tahoe to begin the clearing of the trail by Memorial Day, which is 3 weeks before the first groups are planing to go in. Bottom line is that we are maintaining the dates, and will get everything in.
Don’t wait to register. Cut off is May 19th to be able to guarantee shirts and hoodies. After that, there will be a $25 late fee until we close registrations on June 9th.
Looking forward to it! Should be epic with some snow on the trail!

Any chance the date will push out due to almost 50' of snow this season?

Hi

My gut is that we keep the date. As detailed, there aren’t any real options to move the event and guarantee the kitchen, the lawn area and the bear cage storage area at the springs.

The 50’ feet of snow (now 52’ at Donner Summit) is total accumulation - the amount that has fallen. For those that don’t know, that is not the snow depth at this moment. I’m not discounting the historical significance of this year, just making sure we are all on the same page.

The water content of the snow has been very low. More light fluffy powder, from a lower amount of precipitation. For the month of Feb it was 14 inches of snow from 1 inch of rain, vs “normal” which is closer to 10:1.

If you look at the amount of precipitation that has fallen through end of Feb, we had more in 2018-19 and 2016-17.

To me, the real concern is the snow depth and the snowpack, which is the water content that is in the ground right now, and . Last week we were at 197% of the “normal” April 1st average depth, which is usually when this is the highest.

The water content at Robb’s had been averaging 20 inches through Feb 22, but is now 35”. Obviously, that’s significant. Rubicon Peak (south of Tahoma) was about 37” through Feb 22, and has jumped to 58”.

This matters due to the timing of the melt. If we get a lot at once, then we have to deal with flooding. If it’s early, but gets warmer, we are more likely to be OK. If we are getting snow in late April, we may run into problems coming in from Tahoma.

It’s obviously not the best situation, and we will make sure everyone knows as soon as possible if the trail won’t be passible end to end.

is there a thread for Barker's Pass run? I was told that's a nice way to get to the Springs but my biggest concern is deep water crossing. I'm not set up for it.

FWIW , IMO Barker Pass & Miller will be deep in drifts and tree wells and not an option but we'll see. The water on Barker is only on the short , tight, short cut that drops you in below birthday cake before observation and it will be too deep for you Dat.

FWIW , IMO Barker Pass & Miller will be deep in drifts and tree wells and not an option but we'll see. The water on Barker is only on the short , tight, short cut that drops you in below birthday cake before observation and it will be too deep for you Dat.
So Barkers is out for me. Maybe I’ll take it easy and go with Huffs breakfast run.

Official Trail Leader, not substitute. I am fairly certain the Barker / Miller access will be a snowy mess, if its clear its epic but when its snow drifted it is almost impassable. I realize it could be done but thats not for an event with many vehicles. I would love to do Barker, does not look like its in the cards, we'll see.

Wheeling through “well managed snow” to exit through Tahoma or running back out to Loon,? It should be epic either way.

Official Trail Leader, not substitute. I am fairly certain the Barker / Miller access will be a snowy mess, if its clear its epic but when its snow drifted it is almost impassable. I realize it could be done but thats not for an event with many vehicles. I would love to do Barker, does not look like its in the cards, we'll see.
I wonder about Barker’s Pass on the way out. Should have some info from those coming in from that side.

getting the gear setup dialed in
4C32CC36-5DEB-44DC-8896-410EF0CD2B6B.jpeg
23B0F517-30CE-4F09-B405-5302C19E378D.jpeg
C7D750EB-0E06-4048-9FCA-92684F46E063.jpeg

I have not had good Luck with coolers on the Rubi. after about the 3rd day i pretty much have water and no ice . I went to a fridge and been much better

I have never had issues with coolers on the Con. That said, I usually do 2 nights / 3 days on the trail. I am hoping we can use snow this year to help with cooling as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom