RTT FS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What are your plans? Ground tent? Hard shell? Inquiring minds want to know! o_O

well..., i am considering the options.
i didn't like the RTT because 1) it was too high to reach and i had to carry a ladder to set-up/pack-up, and 2) i hated having to pack-up every morning and set back up every night when camping in a single location for multiple days. if it could be mounted lower (like the bed of a Taco), these may not be issues.
Also, to get it in the garage i had to lower tire pressure and remove the ladder and the additional weight on the roof kinda sucks.
So, i'm looking into a upgraded ground tent of some sort. possibly considering hard shell???

oh..., i'm also considering a platform in the truck. i recently re-organized the truck and think i can now get a platform in the back, but would need the tailgate down and one of those tents that wrap the back of the truck. i think this is now option #1.

You sir, are too tall to sleep in the truck w/o that wrap - there's a thread here on MUD somewhere with a nice alternative, but feedback wasn't real positive with a tire swingout like you've got. I'm not quite 5'11" and I had to move the drivers seat all the way forward to sleep comfortably.

Email back from Nomad Ventures - my James Baroud will arrive in Escondido in approx. 3 weeks. When I come down to have them install (yep - nice little perk from them helping/doing the install) I'd be more than happy to swing by your place or meet somewhere.

If my aging brain remembers, I will! o_O

INTI rack looks very different now w/o the rails on and the mesh front protecting the old lights!! See my thread here post #11 for one shot I took. Spot or Flood?

Lifetime LED slimline bars installed front, bull bar, sides and rear.

Based on what I know of the C channels under the JB, I'll probably need to drill into the aluminum slats on either side of the three cross bars to drop down the bolts that'll secure the tent. No biggie on that. IIRC the center to center measurement on those tent channels was 25 1/2" and centering the tent will put those channels just resting on the slats. Ok with me as I think it'll give the tent even more support.

here is real time video of up/down setup. the published spec of 60-second up and 90-second down seems exaggerated just like it is with the Tepui clam-shell type. takes me about 10/12-minutes to fully pack it up and even with a hard shell looks like i would need a ladder. my cross bars are about 7' AFF.

you can remember to stop by, i'll buy you lunch at Honey's or Swami's.

I've seen that video and others. We'll see on the time. Ladder is needed. Rack is 80" for me.

I'm 6'5" and can sleep in my 100. So it can be done. My latest layout is removing the front passenger seat and keeping all of the second row (wife delete configuration :ban:). I built a platform in that space that allows me to mount my fridge and two or three MWCs. Stuff that I use everyday at camp goes in the back cargo area (sleeping bags, mattress, food box, stove, table, etc) and stuff I don't use every day goes in a roof bag. That way when I get to camp, I pull all that stuff out, fold down the seats, setup the mattress and sleeping bags. I tested it out last weekend and it actually worked quite well. Plus it's really nice having the fridge up front and accessible.

Quick sale! Nice!!!

I'm 6'5" and can sleep in my 100. So it can be done. My latest layout is removing the front passenger seat and keeping all of the second row (wife delete configuration :ban:). I built a platform in that space that allows me to mount my fridge and two or three MWCs. Stuff that I use everyday at camp goes in the back cargo area (sleeping bags, mattress, food box, stove, table, etc) and stuff I don't use every day goes in a roof bag. That way when I get to camp, I pull all that stuff out, fold down the seats, setup the mattress and sleeping bags. I tested it out last weekend and it actually worked quite well. Plus it's really nice having the fridge up front and accessible.

You could be 7' and sleep in a LC with the front seat removed. ;)

You could be 7' and sleep in a LC with the front seat removed. ;)

True, but the fridge extends back to where the back of the front seat would have been so I am not gaining anything there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom