RTH Transmission Flush (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

snr

Threads
I am in the process of changing my transmission oil and was following this YoutTube video, . Here we are told that the outlet tube for the transmission cooler is on the passenger side bottom of the radiator (~14:00). However when tracing the oil lines it seems like the said location is an inlet to the cooler and not the outlet.

After tracing the lines it looks like the bottom hose shown below is the actual outlet. However when I turn on the truck and go through the gears I can't get any fluid to flow. I have the pin holding open the "thermostat value". A good photo of this is at (14:24)

Can anyone who has flushed their fluid please provide some clarification? The only thing I can think of is maybe I don't have the thermostat value open all the way open to allow for flow. I just have a paperclip partially stuck in.

IMG_20190811_160346.jpg

I found it easier to get under the truck and remove the skids. You can then disconnect the longer line from its radiator cooler nipple and run into a container.. then run a spare length of hose from that nipple into the container also. This way you're definitely getting whichever is the supply as well as catching any drips that will come along with gravity doing its job.

As long as your pin goes through both holes on the surrounding ring of the thermotat button, the central part is pushed in enough. Or that was my experience anyway.

As for whether you should get it at the bottom of the radiator or in the location you found, the volume trapped in that small part of the loop isn't enough to worry about. I'd use the more convenient location at the bottom of the rad.

The view shown in the video is from underneath the vehicle with skid plate removed.

I do not know the specific answer to your question.

In the past on other vehicles I have had great success idling the vehicle in R with the parking brake set, wheels chocked. In this configuration use an IR thermometer or carefully use your fingers. Within a few seconds you’ll be able to tell the direction of flow by the difference in temperature of the lines.
Amazon product ASIN B071NBJJ2Q

Last edited:
Hello there,
I made the video above. I would ensure the paper clip is pushed all the way through that thermostat first. The outlet of the radiator is as shown in the video (lookin from the bottom). Our LC's have a transcooler as part of the radiator and an additional trans cooler. As mentioned above you could capture the fluid coming out from either, but I wanted to get it at its last point of exit prior to going back to the transmission. If you follow the line from the pump to the front, I believe the fluid runs through the separate transcooler first and then into the radiator and then back to the transmission.
Compared to the dealership procedure of only draining and replacing 1/3 of the total fluid - you are still going to be way ahead of the game regardless of where you gather the fluid from!

I originally plugged the bottom tube that I have shown with a extension. I opened this up and turned on the truck and oil came out immediately from the tube so it most definitely a supply from the transmission. The terminology of the inlet/outlet is confusing for the oil cooler. I believe the direction of flow is relative to the transmission. Meaning that inlet NO.1 at the bottom of the radiator that you are referring to is an inlet to the transmission. This matches with the video and I ended up using this location.

As a second note I kept the pin in the thermostatic value when performing the final fluid check. The video said to pull this but some posts of a Toyota manual on the Tundra forum said leave it in. Transmission fluid change
Our service manual lists this as a preliminary step before performing any work on the transmission.

So to summarize for anyone else reading this in the future. Follow the video for draining and flushing. It is then your personal call to leave the pin in when checking the fluid level. I kept it in.

Last edited:
NLScooby thanks for making the video!! It really helped me through the whole process and probably saved me from over torquing the drain plug since this isn't really listed anywhere that I could find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom