RTH E Brake Cable short? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I swapped axles from a 97 to my 91 and had everything bolt up just fine. My last issue is getting the e brake cable set.

The e brake cable is from the 97. I have it fed all the way up to the floor. The issue is getting enough length out of the cable to bolt it onto the handle.

The cable in the back of the axle is slack and no matter how hard I pull it doesn’t seem to increase the length.

Any ideas? What am I missing here?
I am leaving for a cross country trip in a few days so any help would be greatly appreciated.

2733FB2C-AD74-4DB8-AD1C-7D3766E7B7C4.jpeg
5FFB9942-BD87-413C-9C1F-0D87B6DC0D57.jpeg
438B3474-2F9F-461D-94EB-2C39AA9B393C.jpeg

You need an e-brake cable from the same year axle. Will bolt up without any issues.

The brake lever maybe your problem, I am not really sure @beno would probably know

I grabbed the lever as an afterthought, I’m going to try and swap them out tomorrow. I will say upon a precursor a glance they look pretty identical.

I grabbed the lever as an afterthought, I’m going to try and swap them out tomorrow. I will say upon a precursor a glance they look pretty identical.

But the cable mount in the handle maybe different

The cable in the back of the axle is slack and no matter how hard I pull it doesn’t seem to increase the length.

Sounds like the cable is stuck, have seen a couple of them, rusted, never used. Was able to free one of them by hanging it and soaking penetrating oil, the other had to be replaced.

I also have had this problem....

I have a 91 truck with a 96 axle, using a 91 cable. However i have slack on both ends... i can pull the cable way past all the threads on the lever side and still have plenty of slack on the axle side.. Is there another adjuster?

I figured i'm missing something and havent gone back...

I also have had this problem....

I have a 91 truck with a 96 axle, using a 91 cable. However i have slack on both ends... i can pull the cable way past all the threads on the lever side and still have plenty of slack on the axle side.. Is there another adjuster?

I figured i'm missing something and havent gone back...

The 91 cable is to long. That is why it is necessary to swap the cable as well. IIRC, there is a thread on here is someone snipping and shortening the 91 cable. It didn’t look hard, it’s jusy easier to swap cables.

For continuities sake, I fixed the issue.

It's amazing how when you walk away from a problem and come back the next day it all seems to click.

I took Tools advice and sprayed penetrating oil down the cable the best I could, hosed down the entire rear assembly, and took the cable retainer bracket off by the gas tank.

Then I threaded on the nuts all the way down on the handle adjustment side and yanked the crap out of the cable under the two nuts.

After that, it all bolted up and works perfectly now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom