RTH diagnosing 1990 350tbi stumble/stall when warm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cool. Working on it now.

* mallory confirms it pushes a constant 12 w/out regulator. Suggested the 140 model which pushes 15 but said 4140 will work, just that the higher the better within range usually helps TBI units**

Im in Greensboro NC and truck is in Raleigh. Both about 3 hours from you. I may have you ship it to Raleigh and go down on Friday instead but tomorrow works so much better.

Let me know what works, I can ship it out first thing tomorrow morning and it can either be there Thursday or Friday. I could have gone home at lunch and shipped it today but I haven't heard anything from you yet.

Jeremy

Thanks, I appreciate the offer but looks like I can get one in my hands tomorrow that is TBI specific and not too spendy. Thanks again for the info scrounging and the offer.

Update:

Thanks all for the help, truck is now home. It was an insufficient replacement fuel pump.

Still is not running 100% despite the unecessary mega tune up it recieved but much much better.
I think ill search out my stumbling under load problem before I continue here. Still feels spark/fuel related, one of them not keeping up with the other.

for future 350 TBI fuel pump searches I found the following :

+Carter P5001 / NAPA P5001 / Holley HLY-12-927 This is a self priming pump. It regulates out 9-22psi.
+Master/Airtex E8094 is a medium pressure fuel pump made for the GM throttle bodies which run at 15 psi. It pushes 17-20psi at 50gph.

Thanks again, and a special thanks to Fourtrax, Trollhole, and StrongToy for the help and extra hands.

Last edited:
I had a similar fuel pump issue.......all the reccomended replacement pumps at the local Napa, Kragen, Autozone stores all sucked. I went thru 3 until I finally broke down and bought a Howell pump. It's a walbro that puts out around 30 psi. Howell explained to me that the pumps rating is based on brand new, cold day, sea level, perfect environement, etc. and almost never put out what their ratings are, so they use a pump with a much higher rating and rely on the regulator to drop the pressure to ~13psi. I never had a problem after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom