RTH - Broke Cone Washer Stud Below Surface (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mingles

GOLD Star
Threads
I had one stud shear off below hub surface. Tried to drill hole for screw extractor but it went off center and I wanted to seek suggestions here before I FUBAR'd it completely. I have new studs but just need to get the remnant out without destroying the mating threads in the hub. Thoughts?

Stud.JPG

Carbide cutting bit 9905 and a dremel, patience and time. Use the carbide cutter to get back on center or cut straight across the bolt then collapse the halves in sideways and pull them out, or use it to cut a deep width wise cut across the top, apply heat and penetrating oil and try using a flat blade screw driver to extract it. Or if you can get one you could always attack it in the same spot with a slightly larger left hand twist drill bit after heating it.

Thanks. I'll pick up one of those bits tomorrow and try that.

Thanks @LandCrusinMy93 . Your suggestions worked like a champ. Used the Dremel with the carbide bit and cut enough of a slot to jam a flat bladed screwdriver into it and twist it out.

I also noticed that the threaded portion of the hole in the hub is at least twice the depth of the threaded portion of the cone washer stud. Even if you completely destroyed the threaded section normally used, you could still use a longer threaded stud and not have to replace the hub.

Thanks @LandCrusinMy93 . Your suggestions worked like a champ. Used the Dremel with the carbide bit and cut enough of a slot to jam a flat bladed screwdriver into it and twist it out.

I also noticed that the threaded portion of the hole in the hub is at least twice the depth of the threaded portion of the cone washer stud. Even if you completely destroyed the threaded section normally used, you could still use a longer threaded stud and not have to replace the hub.
Hey I'm glad I could help. I don't make a habit out of breaking fasteners but my
Jalopy fetish has forced me to learn a few tricks lol. I learned that one from an aviation mechanic, something about how they can't have damaged threads or wallowed out bolt holes or something, either way it's always smart to start any drill out of broken bolts by either center punching it or if you can't get a good center punch mark you use the carbide cutter to start a center hole for you bit. Anyway, nice to see you got it resolved.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom