RTH: 80 series steering box/105 sector shaft upgrade doesn't match relay rod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The steering box on my '90 FJ62 started leaking something fierce lately. So I ordered an 80 series box with the 105 series sector shaft:

It came with the larger pitman arm 45411-60360 with nut and washer, which I installed just fine. Mounted on the frame, now trying to connect the relay rod, the inner diameter of the pitman arm is smaller than the relay rod. The inner pitman arm is about 14.5mm, and the relay rod diameter at the top of the taper is about 16.3mm. Am I missing something? Do I need a different relay rod end? I had not come across this in my research before starting this project.

If you look at the picture in this thread, the hole size is very apparent: 80 to 105 upgrade help - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/80-to-105-upgrade-help.1284455/

PXL_20230329_233325493.jpg

PXL_20230329_233330875.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you. Somewhere along the way I thought this would all be compatible. I'll bring the arm to a machine shop to see if I can have it reamed.

Well the shop I bought to it was not interested at all, despite having "reaming" in the name :flipoff2:

I'm thinking of just buying the Toyota TRE reamer to do it myself: Taper Reamer - https://www.lceperformance.com/Taper-Reamer-p/2051613.htm

Taper between the two arms is the same, but the 105 opening is too small to accept the FJ62 TRE. So just put the arm in a drill press with the reamer until the opening on the 105 arm is the same as the FJ62 arm? Sound good? Any alternative ideas before I start cutting?

You could move to 80 series rods, ends, and knuckle arms like this build.

That's about it as far as the reaming goes. Do yourself the favor of doing a little, checking fit, then doing a little more, etc., until you get the right fit. It's awful hard to put the metal back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom