Builds ROTW Bear80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice Rig Bear
"Bumped timming up to 8-9* BTDC" What performance increase do you get by doing this? How does this affect engine wear or MPG?

It's been disscused here on 'mud and it started I think with the aussie guys. With the 33" tires and the timming bump, the rig is snappy off the line and takes much less effort to cruise with the fast movers on the highways. Infact most of the time going up hills it usally only comes out of the torque converter lockup, it doesn't even down shift. But with a supercharger you cannot bump up the timming.

As for mpg, as I said I gained about another 1mpg with it. Engine wear, my main concern is it running hotter. Which is why I plan to get some new fluid in my flan clutch before it turns hot down here again.

Also "spark knock" can occur with 87 octane, I just went ahead and put in only 93 octane.

Last edited:
Bear 80, what is the deal with the timming being bumped up to 8-9* BTDC? Did you get any performance gains, enough to feel the difference? Thanks.

cool!
That second pic is funny, it looks like you're rubbing the side, "OOOHHHH, 80 series....." hahaha

I like that TJM, never seen it on a 80 and looks clean! Looks really nice w/o the tire on there too.
the ARB signals are cool, I might have to jump on that mod. What's O'Reily's? got a link?

Nice job. I was going to suggest my cure for your original brush-guard/damage multiplier. My 80 had the same one on it when I got it. It came from San Antonio. I chop-sawed mine and put a real bumper and winch under it.
A guy here likes mine and wants similar. I wonder if your old one could get to AZ at reasonable cost? You could chop it off at the top of the bumper to ease transport. We only need the top part of it. PM me....?

cool!
That second pic is funny, it looks like you're rubbing the side, "OOOHHHH, 80 series....." hahaha

I like that TJM, never seen it on a 80 and looks clean! Looks really nice w/o the tire on there too.
the ARB signals are cool, I might have to jump on that mod. What's O'Reily's? got a link?

Yep that was pretty much the maiden wheeling trip and you know I have to give the 80 some love. :D

As of the lights, I'm in the process of moving and the box they came in is not with me here. I can get the model number and such later but I recall it was the Blazer brand, maybe...

Nice job. I was going to suggest my cure for your original brush-guard/damage multiplier. My 80 had the same one on it when I got it. It came from San Antonio. I chop-sawed mine and put a real bumper and winch under it.
A guy here likes mine and wants similar. I wonder if your old one could get to AZ at reasonable cost? You could chop it off at the top of the bumper to ease transport. We only need the top part of it. PM me....?

Sorry I sold it months ago on ebay to a guy in AZ, it went for a killing. Infact, so much so it almost paided for my ARB.

Bear 80, what is the deal with the timming being bumped up to 8-9* BTDC? Did you get any performance gains, enough to feel the difference? Thanks.

Bumping up the timming as I answered before made a big difference for me. The 33" tires kinda suck up the power but with the timming up, the rig is snappy off the line and can run without strain with the fast-movers on the highways. The combo of 93 octane and Rapid fire pulgs maybe have also contributed but I had that before I bumped the timming up.

As for the plugs, I didn't notice any difference when I put them in the 80 but with my other toyotas they made a noticeable difference with throttle response. I also got a sweet deal on the plugs on ebay so I couldn't pass them up.

Recently I added an ARB front winch bumper and painted it a two tone with bronze hammer finish. I also painted the rear TJM bumper the same, leaving the black plastic trim for a two tone. I also bought some driving lights from O'Riley's to put in place of the ARB supplied orange turn signals. All I had to do was bend the mouting tabs on the lights and they made a near perfect fit in the bumper.
Bumpers025.jpg
Very cool idea with the front bumper. Did you paint it yourself? Nicely done!:beer:

Could would give the model# on the O'Rielly lights and where you got them? I'm in the process of purchasing an ARB bumper but I can't stand the blinkers that come with them. Doing this mod makes much more sense and looks much better IMO. I really like the Slee bumper w/o blinkers but it's out-of-stock and shipping would prolly kill me!:frown:
frontbumper_hoop1.jpg

Also, how much was the damage for the wood steering wheel and did it affect the airbag in any way? TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom