rookie mistake helpppp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone
Yesterday i was replacing the battery of my fzj80 and i made a rookie mistake of connecting the positive cable to the negative end of the battery and the negative with the positive creating some sparks and smoke from the positive cable. No my question is did i fried some fuses? What do i va to doo

No my question is did i fried some fuses? What do i va to doo

Whoa! It would help if you described the problem you are having since the incident. As far as I can tell you only described the incident. And only you can tell if you "fried some fuses".

Yeah, most likely one or more of the fusible links. They're the small wires attached as part of the positive cable assembly. Get original Toyota or an otherwise properly spec-ed fusible link. Never use a ordinary wire or a fuse to replace these unless it's an emergency and you're certain you've cleared the problem, as in "Hook the cables up right the next time." Otherwise, it could get very expensive and/or turn into a flaming inferno.

A quick zap and burn just hits the fusible link. If you were dancing around welding with it for a time, there could be more damage, but most likely the link or links did their job and prevented really expensive damage.

First off, the OP did NOT state that there was any issue other than a firework display.

So to OP, hook the cables back up in the correct orientation and try to start it. If it does and there are no signs of smoking etc from the wiring harness or battery, start all accessories and see if you can detect a failure somewhere. Now is the time to find any faults rather than on the road. If it is GTG, you are lucky. If it fails to start and/or multiple dash lights on, get familiar with the FSM and electrical manual.

Thanks guy i put the battery in the right position now and it would not start u can hear the starter doing its job but it would not start the car

The radio wont turn on either or head lights the only oje that como on are two bottoms from the a/c and the baterry light on red thats about it

Presuming the fuses are all good -- they very well could be, because the function of a fusible link is similar to a fast-acting fuse, which is why you don't want to use a fuse in place of a fusible link-- still sounds like one or more fusible links are blown.

thanks for the reply and i got a question i know its a little bit dumb but wherebis or are located the fusible link cuz ive been looking online and could find any picture that will show or explain where is located

The fusible link is the three wires connected to the positive terminal, two of them go into a little black plastic cube the other to a connector. Go to the dealer for a new fusible link and I would also suggest replacing the junction block as well(black plastic cube) . Also if you search this forum you will find pics

Get two sets of OEM fusible links. Keep one as a spare in the truck. They are cheap.

Thanks everybody again, i just bought a new fusible link and tomo i will raplace it to see how it goes.. btw that picture was really helpfull thanks

I just replace the fusible link and the truck starts with out a problem. The only thing that is not working is the redio and the clock, i assume is a fusible. Thanks everyone again

Watch your alternator, as the reverse polarity could have damaged it.

I just replace the fusible link and the truck starts with out a problem. The only thing that is not working is the redio and the clock, i assume is a fusible. Thanks everyone again

Assuming everything up to that is OK, the Radio + Clock (are your door/dome lights working?) could be a blown fuse in the fuse box in the engine bay or next to the steering wheel, I forget which (pretty sure it's next to the steering wheel).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom