Roof Top Tent on Factory Roof Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at at 23 Zero tent that weighs 152 lbs for the factory roof rack. The rack is rated for dynamic 130 lbs. Have you had a roof top tent that exceeded the weight capacity and it was able to handle the weight?

i have a Mt Bachelor from CVT. i want to say its suppose to weigh about 125. and i had it on the factor roof rack when i drove from Colorado springs to Moab. it sat at camp while me and my wife took my Tacoma out wheeling. never had an issue. not sure though on anything that weighs more tho

I had our new Free Spirit High Country (162lbs) mounted briefly on the stock rack, although I added 2 additional stock crossbars.
Rails and bars handled it fine, but I felt better with 4 bars instead of 2. I only clamped the tent to 2 of the bars, but it made contact with all 4.
I have since gone with a Prinsu rack. Crossbars and rails could be for sale if any interest.

I had a Roofnest RTT on my factory bars. I used it on two trips then started having a strange rattle.

My factory cross bars had 2 cracked feet at opposing corners. Cracked clean through.

I bought a Prinsu rack and all is well. I certainly would not advocate using the factory rack after my experience.

I had a Roofnest RTT on my factory bars. I used it on two trips then started having a strange rattle.

My factory cross bars had 2 cracked feet at opposing corners. Cracked clean through.

I bought a Prinsu rack and all is well. I certainly would not advocate using the factory rack after my experience.
How much did your tent weigh or what model was it so I can check the weight?

I was running a sandpiper.

Claimed weight was 145#'s.

Of relevance that I forgot in my first post: I was running 5x 80/20 T-slot cross bars when my rack gave up the ghost at the feet.

I just purchased the LFD Wide Crossbars for our TJM Yulara RTT (Weight: 123#) and will report how it performs on the stock side rails. Does anyone know how the strength/static weight capacity is changed when you have converted to different side rails (LFD/Prinsu/Etc)? I assume your weak link at that point becomes the roof but I have no idea what the weight limit on that would be.

I would like to eventually add a 270 degree awning on the side, but that would put my static roof weight closer to 200# and I'd like to see how it performs with the RTT first.

Edit: I have found my answer according to SSO and LFD...
SSO: This Lexus GX470 roof rack can carry up to 300 pounds in motion and 760 pounds in static weight.
LFD: Toyota specifies a maximum dynamic load rating for the roof of 300 pounds, 600 pounds static.

Last edited:
FWIW.... Bigfoot RTT on Thule bars, clamped to stock rack......no issues and rock solid. About 140lbs loaded. Also note that I positioned the RTT back edge to be in line with back edge of spoiler. This would minimize the lift associated with ariflow over the windshield and provides good sunroof vis. Also allows for rear passenger door use with ladder down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom