Roof rack width. Why limit to factory mount width? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First post. Landcruiser owner for 18 years, site lurker for 2 months.

Starting a second romance with my LC after seeing what else is (isn't) on the market for new vehicles. Time to invest in it's future. Most upgrades will be safety / electronic, but a big exterior upgrade will be a roof rack.

Roof racks. I've read most of the dozens and dozens of posts on this brand or that feature. All very helpful. Setting out to make my own, but have a sticking point I can't get past. It seems like the vast majority of LC racks are (not coincidentally) the same width as the factory mounting brackets, approximately 46-48" overall. Yet for decades, companies like Yakima and Thule have been giving people substantially more real estate up there. I'm not talking about the absurd 16" past the entire vehicle width with tennis ball caps to prevent brain damage while holding 3 canoes. But maybe overall 60-64" inches. Still well inside overall vehicle width. I have a Thule rocket box that is 32" wide, so why not build a platform that leaves me more than 14" - 16" when it's installed?

I've drawn up a design and as a steel fabricator I can fab much of what I'll use. Before I dive in I guess I'm looking for reasons to, or not to.

Any guidance is much appreciated.

I'm glad to be in such good (and experienced) company.

I built mine. It’s 52” wide x 86” long. You can safely go wider than the 45-46” apart mounting points, as long as your connecting support bars extend out.

12A53434-FC0F-4010-BB68-7B77D32099E1.jpeg

Excellent. Glad to see I’m not alone in this line of thinking. 62” overall is the number I’m leaning towards.
Nice looking rack, by the way. Is that 8020? It’s heavier than you think, isn’t it?

It’s not 8020, but it is a type of slotted aluminum extrusion. Great for hauling plywood and lumber!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom