Roof rack - moon roof obstruction? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nor_cal_cyclist

GOLD Star
Threads
Greetings -

Just about to purchase a LC and was curious if anyone with a Front Runner rack would be willing to shoot a picture looking up thru the moon roof? I'm on the fence between a Front Runner for speed of delivery and a Gobi (have one on the 2017 4Runner I'm selling) so I don't obstruct the moon roof too much, and hoping the old proverb is correct about a picture worth 1000 words on the issue.

Thanks and looking forward to getting back into a LC!

Thanks guys - sounds like I can save some weight, delivery time, money, and have additional options for accessories with the Front Runner then.

The front runner is a massive disappointment, I would go another route if I were to do it over. If you are planning on a RTT, definitely go another route.

The front runner is a massive disappointment, I would go another route if I were to do it over. If you are planning on a RTT, definitely go another route.
There are a number of quality rack options available, although each has its limitations. Yours is the first completely negative comment out of dozens I’ve seen regarding FR. Please elaborate.

Apologies for crappy pics taken from a stoplight. But the front slat cannot be removed for structural reason but the others can.

94D91F42-9F1F-42E9-A61D-0331CCAC3130.jpeg

82A2CC7F-D50A-4636-80DA-0098BBE55A0B.jpeg

69951AC2-A405-4D20-87EB-8CD864027DF8.jpeg

Here’s my Gobi so you have a better idea how it looks on a 200 series. Haven’t seen too many close up shots of the Gobi racks on the forum so I thought I’d share. Their wait time does suck! Any questions or more pictures of the Gobi, feel free to let me know.

4BE9E8CA-ADF3-4C5C-8073-164E229A7969.jpeg

Here’s my Gobi so you have a better idea how it looks on a 200 series. Haven’t seen too many close up shots of the Gobi racks on the forum so I thought I’d share. Their wait time does suck! Any questions or more pictures of the Gobi, feel free to let me know.

View attachment 2044498
Love the color of your rig !

How is the noise factor with your Gobi ?

View attachment 2044498

So 2 questions about the Gobi:

1) any drilling required for the install? I had one on my '17 4Runner and was happy with no drilling and yet SOLID

2) does the back avoid the shark fin antennae (again, my last Gobi did)? I LOVE music and totally missed the fact my antennae is obstructed by the Front Runner. Interested to see if I can still pick up XM and if it messes with my cell reception.

Truck isn't even here yet, and I'm pondering changes 🙄

Picture of my frontrunner. That first slat cant be removed, but the 2nd can. No issues with us having sunroof open for air to come in. No whistling or anything. Does obstruct view, but with that 2nd slat removed you would get most of it uncovered. They also sell the half rack I believe. That being said I love the rack. I've put most of my 260lbs on one slat and it held me fine. My wife and i put an air mattress up there and slept with no tent, just a double sleeping bag. Carry a telescopic ladder and use the ladder support brackets.

They have an attachment or accessory for anything you can think of, many are priced too high imo, but I'll still be buying more. Can also DIY some since it's all their accessories use the same bolt size. I leave 9 attachment points up there and can slide or move them in seconds for whatever configuration I like. We have the canoe/kayak holder which has been great so far. Will buy the hi lift holder whenever Slee gets sliders for the LX. Lots of great racks out there, but with all the different setups we run this was the best choice for us.

20191007_105257.jpg

Picture of my frontrunner. That first slat cant be removed, but the 2nd can. No issues with us having sunroof open for air to come in. No whistling or anything. Does obstruct view, but with that 2nd slat removed you would get most of it uncovered. They also sell the half rack I believe. That being said I love the rack. I've put most of my 260lbs on one slat and it held me fine. My wife and i put an air mattress up there and slept with no tent, just a double sleeping bag. Carry a telescopic ladder and use the ladder support brackets.

They have an attachment or accessory for anything you can think of, many are priced too high imo, but I'll still be buying more. Can also DIY some since it's all their accessories use the same bolt size. I leave 9 attachment points up there and can slide or move them in seconds for whatever configuration I like. We have the canoe/kayak holder which has been great so far. Will buy the hi lift holder whenever Slee gets sliders for the LX. Lots of great racks out there, but with all the different setups we run this was the best choice for us.

View attachment 2101265
Is your antennae obstructed to the point it interferes with reception?

Love the color of your rig !

How is the noise factor with your Gobi ?

Thank you! I haven’t noticed any noise but have also had a roof rack on my vehicles for about 12 years now. Gobi includes the wind fairing so I’m sure that goes a long way with cutting down any noise.

So 2 questions about the Gobi:

1) any drilling required for the install? I had one on my '17 4Runner and was happy with no drilling and yet SOLID

2) does the back avoid the shark fin antennae (again, my last Gobi did)? I LOVE music and totally missed the fact my antennae is obstructed by the Front Runner. Interested to see if I can still pick up XM and if it messes with my cell reception.

Truck isn't even here yet, and I'm pondering changes 🙄

1) Nope, no drilling required! It’s been covered in a lot of roof rack threads but just be careful when removing the screws for the factory rack. The fasteners in the rack damage easily. You will mount the new rack using the same location.
2) It shouldn’t. I don’t have a fin for my sat radio but the rack has a cut out for one.

FD078BC3-D005-4B59-B44E-2371C2BCA0C3.jpeg

Not that I agree or disagree, but would you be able to explain what caused the disappointment for you? I think it might benefit all of us to know what issues others are seeing.

I went with the Gamiviti Expo ++. installed it yesterday and completely love it. One of the considerations I had for a rack was to not block the sun roof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom