Roof box with Prinsu (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is anyone running a cargo box on a platform style rack? I'm looking at roof/cargo boxes that I can swap between my wife's car (standard crossbars) and my 100 (Prinsu), depending on where we are going. I noticed the Thule boxes are recessed for cross bars so they sit lower (no flat bottom). I would guess this would interfere with their mounting brackets on a platform style rack. I'm not interested in moving my load bars around to accommodate the roof box. We currently have a smaller/older sportrack box. It has a flat bottom and mounts fine on both, but I want get something a little nicer and bigger. I sent Prinsu an email with this question specifically stating this will not be used in an off-road scenario and only used for luggage and a pack-n-play. They replied, "we love the roam boxes!" Thanks for your help Prinsu.

It looked like the Yakima Skybox is flat. The Thule Force and Motion are both recessed for load bars. Has anyone worked through this and if so, what worked for you?

Is anyone running a cargo box on a platform style rack? I'm looking at roof/cargo boxes that I can swap between my wife's car (standard crossbars) and my 100 (Prinsu), depending on where we are going. I noticed the Thule boxes are recessed for cross bars so they sit lower (no flat bottom). I would guess this would interfere with their mounting brackets on a platform style rack. I'm not interested in moving my load bars around to accommodate the roof box. We currently have a smaller/older sportrack box. It has a flat bottom and mounts fine on both, but I want get something a little nicer and bigger. I sent Prinsu an email with this question specifically stating this will not be used in an off-road scenario and only used for luggage and a pack-n-play. They replied, "we love the roam boxes!" Thanks for your help Prinsu.

It looked like the Yakima Skybox is flat. The Thule Force and Motion are both recessed for load bars. Has anyone worked through this and if so, what worked for you?

I have ran two generations of Thule Box on my prinsu - the old u-bolt style and the newer claw style.

The older one was flat and worked fine. The newer is less flat and also works fine

I run a Thule box occasionally. It has the “claw” type attachment and both front and back claws can be slid forward or backwards approximately 10” or so, so there’s a lot of adjustment ability for various roof racks (I have a Prinsu rack on my rig). Case and point, I also occasionally run the same box on a small Mazda 5 wagon that only has two Yakima cross bars. Most newer boxes should all work I’d think, especially since my Thule box is from 2012.

Thanks for the info on roof boxes. My main concern was the "claw" attachment wouldn't reach the crossbars without a flat bottom.
I have ran two generations of Thule Box on my prinsu - the old u-bolt style and the newer claw style.

The older one was flat and worked fine. The newer is less flat and also works fine
Do you know which newer box you have?

It appears that some older boxes work, but the newer ones do not. This was the reply from an email to Thule:

"Thank you for contacting Thule, we will be glad to assist you with your concern.

Unfortunately, our cargo box will not fit Flat rack styles, while most of our cargo boxes will fit factory installed crossbars, please consult with your local dealer or online fit guide to verify fit compatibility."

You should be able to throw a carriage/shoulder bolt into the flat rack pointing upwards from the crossbar and use that to secure your roof box. Remove the box's clamps and I'd guess theres thru holes into the bottom of the box. At least my Yakima Skybox works that way.

I've got my eye out for a skybox. Those have a flat bottom from what I can tell and their mounting system should work. I'm trying to use the factory "claw" mounting system so I can take it on and off quickly and can swap it back onto my wife's car. I'll only put it on the 100 when we need to take luggage, but I want to be able to use it for both cars.

I've got my eye out for a skybox. Those have a flat bottom from what I can tell and their mounting system should work. I'm trying to use the factory "claw" mounting system so I can take it on and off quickly and can swap it back onto my wife's car. I'll only put it on the 100 when we need to take luggage, but I want to be able to use it for both cars.
Another option could be putting a different shape crossbar extrusion into the roof rack at the 2 locations for your box. There’s a lot of different shapes on 8020.

The problem isn't the shape it's that Thule box attachment points are recessed so the box fits lower to the vehicle on standard crossbars (ie the bottom isn't flat like).

My Yakima Skybox 16 is several years old but I think they still make the same model. Bottom is flat and claws drop below the flat bottom. I’m not running a flat rack but assuming you can get the claws through your crossbars you should be fine with a Yakima.

9D1627F5-C91E-4C81-8591-07E150184712.jpeg

I just picked up a Yakima Skybox on craigslist, but haven't fit it to the Gamiviti rack - only my other car (BMW E39 M5 with Thule bars). Like the pic posted just above, the bottom is flat, so see no reason it can't fit on my flat topped rack. The Thule models I was looking at, were all recessed and would likely pose a problem on the front/rear of a flat top rack.

craigslist for the win, since they seem to be everywhere and cheap.

I just picked up a Yakima Skybox on craigslist, but haven't fit it to the Gamiviti rack - only my other car (BMW E39 M5 with Thule bars). Like the pic posted just above, the bottom is flat, so see no reason it can't fit on my flat topped rack. The Thule models I was looking at, were all recessed and would likely pose a problem on the front/rear of a flat top rack.

craigslist for the win, since they seem to be everywhere and cheap.
Did you get the Skybox to fit on your Gamiviti? I am looking for a box to fit on my Gamiviti rack also.

Did you get the Skybox to fit on your Gamiviti? I am looking for a box to fit on my Gamiviti rack also.
I have not tried the skybox on gamiviti. But it should work. Currently my other car and skybox are in storage as we're remodeling, so i'll be away from both for a year or so unfortunately.

I tried mounting a Thule box to my Prinsu rack yesterday and can confirm the indentations make it impossible. I was able to get the claws to dig their “fingertips” into the gutters on the sides of the load bars and it felt pretty sturdy to me… but then I started thinking about whether I want a roof box hanging on by it’s fingertips going 70mph down the highway and took it off.

If anyone knows of a replacement Thule claw with longer fingers, let me know.
IMG_1863.jpeg
IMG_1864.jpeg

I tried mounting a Thule box to my Prinsu rack yesterday and can confirm the indentations make it impossible. I was able to get the claws to dig their “fingertips” into the gutters on the sides of the load bars and it felt pretty sturdy to me… but then I started thinking about whether I want a roof box hanging on by it’s fingertips going 70mph down the highway and took it off.

If anyone knows of a replacement Thule claw with longer fingers, let me know.View attachment 3360242View attachment 3360243
Curious about this myself, I have a bowfin rack… so basically the same setup as a prinsu.

I have a Thule box as well, and getting the same “fingertip” grip… agree that it’d be fine for around town, but could sporty on the highway.

Any work arounds would be great to hear

To make my Thule Motion XT Alpine box fit snug and clamped securely below top of the rack level, I removed two crossbars: the one 2nd in from the front and the one 2nd in from the back. Lowest portions of the box fall right in as long as claws are vertically slid to the right spots.

IMG_5915.jpeg

IMG_5913.jpeg

IMG_4820.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom