Rocker panel rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have some rust in the rocker panel at the rear door on the driver's side. I need to get the rot out and repair this area.

Has someone here done this themselves? How many bananas involved? Is this best taken to a pro?

We have been trying to find someone that is willing to do the body work and then spray top and bottom. No-one wants to take the job. Tells us that they make more money doing insurance jobs.

Suggestions?

IMG_4453.jpg

Thanks, I will look. Any advice on the texture paint for the rocker panels?

Mine were that way. Three words: Rocker chop sliders.

I have the same issue. I even had a mouse living inside the rocker and had to put a trap on the rock sliders. I got that bastard the next morning haha. Im finally at the point with my 80 to focus on body work and am considering to have it all painted but I want to fix the body rust first. Like others are saying we need to do it our selves. I dont drive the 80 on the roads in the winter because of the salt so ill be parking it in the garage and will have a winter project to tackle. I plan on learning how to weld.

IMG_5645 (2).PNG

Im beginning to look at welders and supplies. Hoping to get away with a 110/220 combo MIG welder but there are so many options out there. Anyone have any recommendations on a easy to use basic welder?

Just last week I noticed I have the same problem. Why is this area so prone to rust?

One reason is we all remove the running boards and I’d say a very very slim portion reinstall the bolts leaving open access for mud and water to fill the rocker cavity. I’m guilty. And have the same issue.

The other factor is the pinch weld at the front corner of rear wheel well delaminating and letting water,salt,debris to be slung from the tire constantly onto this area.

I have some rust in the rocker panel at the rear door on the driver's side. I need to get the rot out and repair this area.

Has someone here done this themselves? How many bananas involved? Is this best taken to a pro?

We have been trying to find someone that is willing to do the body work and then spray top and bottom. No-one wants to take the job. Tells us that they make more money doing insurance jobs.

Suggestions?

View attachment 2816625

If you don't want to do it yourself, do you have a local vo-tech high school or technical college? There are some around here that do body work as lesson plans and the cost is low. You're not getting show quality, but it gets done.

Just last week I noticed I have the same problem. Why is this area so prone to rust?
Poor sunroof drain routing...and lack of PM. You do not have to remove the running boards to unplug the rocker panels.

Last edited:
Im beginning to look at welders and supplies. Hoping to get away with a 110/220 combo MIG welder but there are so many options out there. Anyone have any recommendations on a easy to use basic welder?
HTP 130 MIG

I have had the earlier 110 model for 20 years. I love it. USAWeld is also much better to deal with than Lincoln/Miller dealers or Hobo freight / Northern / Tractor R Us and Hobart, plus, unlike HF/Northern/TS, the people there actually know something about welding.

If you don't want to do it yourself, do you have a local vo-tech high school or technical college? There are some around here that do body work as lesson plans and the cost is low. You're not getting show quality, but it gets done.
I wish...those programs were thrown out years ago 'round here.

Suggestions?

View attachment 2816625
Glad to see one worse than mine
!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom