Rigid Industries Review Driving D2 4" pair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
activthrust.com
I'm currently driving my 2002 100 Series with a fresh pair of D2 Driving lamps I installed before driving from Austin to OKC. I installed the into the left and right side openings next to the front license plate. I remove the plastic bars that spanned the ports and positioned the 3/8 hole at the back end of the 2" bumbler crossmember. Using a fine hacksaw, sharp carpet blade, drill, 3/8 and 1/8 x 6" bits and wrenches, and Philips head screwdriver, I mounted the lights. Using the complete switch, harness and switch, I ran wires through a driver side rubber wiring grommet and into the car using a fishtape. I used an empty dash cover to mount the switch requiring a 3/4" hole.

After mounting, I was extremely impressed with the brightness and distribution of light from 12 total LEDs from the 2 compact lamps. After whining to the guys at 4wheel parts about a lack of sufficient lighting options, I decided for a stock bumper setup, these lights were more than ample to light well down the road. The Driving beams are an excellent balance of spot and flood.

I'm not sure they're street legal but in the emptiness of 2 am freezing fog Oklahoma highway tconditions, they were the only reason I could make out roadside signage and reflect anything down the road. When fog was too dense creating too much cockpit glare, I turned them off temporarily.

Overall, the $350 Rigid Industries D2 lights performed beyond expectations and I would highly recommend them (with a set of amber lens covers) for stock rigs. Hard to believe so much lighting power comes in such a small package but it does.

If you run them down low I would recommend getting covers for the glass due to rocks and road debris.

Pnolan - Can you post some pics of your install and/or setup?

I've been thinking about doing something similar and would like to see what you came up with.

Thanks - sounds like a nice mod.

D2's are great. I have some on my four wheelers and I'm continually impressed. No way they are
street legal though ;)

I have Rigid SR-Q's for reverse lights on my 80. Also a 40 inch light bar.

I do a lot of lighting on boats and all I will sell to my customers is Rigid products. They hold up to the abuse of saltwater and they stand behind their products 100%

image-3185602070.jpg

image-2779333267.jpg

Off
image-2507030315.jpg

On
image-407125580.jpg

image-3185602070.jpg

image-2779333267.jpg

image-2507030315.jpg

image-407125580.jpg

Are there any issues wiring these lights in with your vehicles bright lights. In other words does it lessen their life expectancy if they are turned on and off in rapid succession ?
Thanks....

Good question. Probably one for rigid but these lights will shock you as they are instant-on 100%. I'm not qualified to provide electrical guidance so please check with both Rigid and a qualified sources before attempting a hookup other than Rigid's instructions.

The wiring power lead and ground are at the battery. 12 volts runs through the relay to the switch. The switch is lit when on and activates the relay to apply power to the lights. Hooking to the brights might not be a good idea for another reason though. You will keep the maximum flexibility for adjusting to conditions if you run switches separately.

Can you replace your fog lights with the d2s? Is it worth it? Can I mount it on a factory bull bar? I’d like to put them on this bull bar. But does anyone recommend anything else?

B0F1A137-8943-4B50-ABA9-B97C209439D4.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom