Rhinolining/undercoating GX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up a nearly rust-free '13 GX from Texas and want to keep it that way. I'm inquiring locally about undercoating, and a respected shop in the area recommended rhinolining the frame and underbody rather than a typical undercoat spray, saying it will be more durable and will last longer than sprays.

I'm following their logic as I know of lots of guys who rhinoline classic cars while doing frame-off restorations.

My question is, has anyone else done this to their newer truck? Plusses, minuses, recommendations for alternatives?

I wouldn't want to rhino-line it personally. That stuff is pretty thick and nasty. Maybe if I had a fully stripped down frame, but with all the nuts, bolts, threaded holes and other stuff on a modern, fully assembled vehicle I wouldn't feel confident that everything would be like it was before.

Are you really that worried about rust being in NC? It can't snow more than a few times a year right?

Reactions: r2m
Jacket is right. If you/when you need to replace e.g. mufflers, fuel tank, suspension parts, body mounts, etc. it will not be nice having to scrape off just to get to nuts and bolts.
That's assuming you're not super anal about what you mask off.
Plus, you'll need one of those Tyvek bunny suits, respirator, hood/head protection (from paint), gloves, tarpaulin and drop cloths for the rest of your garage while crawling around underneath your rig as you spray everything.

Regarding the snow and possible rust factor, I've never lived out there, heck I've spent most of my life west of the 5 Freeway here in CA. And if I'm not mistaken, most states don't use salt on roads any more or at lest not as often.

One plus with doing the undercoating is that you may get an even quieter ride than factory!

Jacket is right. If you/when you need to replace e.g. mufflers, fuel tank, suspension parts, body mounts, etc. it will not be nice having to scrape off just to get to nuts and bolts.
That's assuming you're not super anal about what you mask off.
Plus, you'll need one of those Tyvek bunny suits, respirator, hood/head protection (from paint), gloves, tarpaulin and drop cloths for the rest of your garage while crawling around underneath your rig as you spray everything.

Regarding the snow and possible rust factor, I've never lived out there, heck I've spent most of my life west of the 5 Freeway here in CA. And if I'm not mistaken, most states don't use salt on roads any more or at lest not as often.

One plus with doing the undercoating is that you may get an even quieter ride than factory!
I agree with the comments above from Jacket and r2m. There are many drawbacks for a bedliner spray, especially for modification and maintenance. If your concern is rust, stick with the rust inhibitor. If you also want a quieter cabin, there are many alternative ways to accomplish that goal.

How long does rust inhibitor last? I was going to have my bj70 undercoated, but am thinking twice based on feedback.

Perhaps the question to ask is: how long do you plan on keeping it?
If not long, why bother...
If you plan on handing it down to your great grand kids: Like many products, I don't think there is a finite answer. I believe each manufacturer/company will have their own schedule on how long it will last before re-application along with how they suggest prepping the area to be coated, etc.
Find a product you think is good, Google some reviews and go to the product website for instructions on prepping and application. They should probably also say long an application lasts before having to re-apply the product.

With all due respect, I believe this may be the wrong forum for this question. GX460's are a little on the new side to be suffering from rust. You may want to also check out the FJ40 forums! I believe there are a bunch of frame-off restorations in that forum and I'm sure they do some type of prepping before re-assembly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom