RHD one ton steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arnott1t

SILVER Star
Threads
So I seem to have run into a little hiccup I now need to solve. I’m installing coil overs and 80 series arms on the front of an Hj47 troopy. Axle is a full width Dana 60. My plan was to run the typical y link steering on this but in rhd config. I can’t run high steer arms on it as it has clearance issues with using factory steering arms. I’m looking at notching frame for tie rod on full compression.

ok so here is what it looks like.
image.jpg

on a typical lhd truck the tre’s sorta work like this
image.jpg

For my RHD troopy they need to flip....
image.jpg

So the trouble is this moves the drag link behind the tie rod due to the taper on the one tre that is made to accept the drag link.
Now I think I have a few options....

1. ream that tie rod the other direction.... wouldn’t have full contact as profile would be an hour glass shape. Could maybe weld it up and back machine it after..... sounds sketchy.
2. try and find a rhd version of that tie rod. It didn’t jump out at me at first blush.....
3. Convert that end of the drag link connection to a heim joint so I weld tabs to tie rod to accept the heim.... that could be best plan. Still have y link then but one heim and the rest tre’s.

Anyone solve this or see it solved on aussie computer rigs. What do they run?

Heim joints? Get rid of the y-link tre and run separate drag link and tie rod.

What would you attach the drag link too? Why heims over tre’s?

Could even machine a tab to accept tre on tire rod to locate drag link out front like typical

Separate drag link eliminates the need for rhd tie rod end. You'd attach it to a second hole on the high steer arm. That's what most high steer setups on Toyotas use, and what I did on my Dana 60. I have tie rod ends now, but I'll be moving to heims soon.

Didnt dodge sell some trucks down there? They have a tie rod setup you could use, the 3/4t ones, right? If you didn't want to use heims.

I don’t have high steer arms. And if I used them would have major interference with frame on tie rod during compression. Was going to notch frame already in the low tie rod mount.
16F7036B-B257-4BAB-95DF-D72B09882FD6.jpeg

since this photo I’ve move the panhard lower so they both hit the frame almost at the same time.

I assume longer is better for both panhard and drag link too. Would seem to make sense

Ah, I see.

Don't have a better option then. Perhaps look into the dodge truck options in your country.

Last thing, they make taper inserts that go into a straight hole, for repairing wollered out steering arm tapers. Maybe you can drill out one of those lhd tie rod end mid-tapers and use one of those inserts to put the taper in the other direction.

Ya that’s the plan. I’m in Canada ;)

TMR has just suck the insert. So I’ll drill it out and weld in new insert. For now I tapered it the other way so have an hourglass taper in it for mock up. Worked!

@arnott1t what steering box is that? It's not a RHD 60/80 box , is it?

It is a RHD 70 box @cruisermatt

adjusted the panhard to more parallelness this am.
FBDCCE3B-997F-4335-931B-87816CE67C2A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom