Return from 2779.7 mile TX to Grand Canyon trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got back last week-end from our summer vacation.
We drove from our home in Texas to Grand Canyon South Rim, Zion National Park, UT and Grand Canyon North Rim.

Total round trip 2779.7 miles.
Average MPG for the entire trip 14.928
Average cost of gas $2.77

Had 3 adults and approx. 250lbs-300lbs of luggage/gear/ice chests, etc.

A few pics....
DSC_8513.JPG
DSC_8517.JPG
DSC_8521.JPG

a few more

more pics
DSC_7153.jpg
DSC_7240.jpg
DSC_8048.JPG

a few more
DSC_8079.JPG
DSC_8759.jpg
DSC_8833.JPG

last one
27.jpg

Amazing shots!! I'm so jealous, took my cruiser to the canyon a few years back
and miss it dearly. Thanks for sharing!! Steve

How was the drive? Been wanting to make a trip like this after my cruiser returns to normal.

Congrats: it's a mighty fine place to see. I don't go often enuf, tho it's only 8hr away...

Any travel tips you wanna share? 3 peeps and 1 truck: you're either really good friends or had another sleeping option.

Any travel tips you wanna share? 3 peeps and 1 truck: you're either really good friends or had another sleeping option.

It was me, my wife, and my brother. We were camping and had 2 tents.

We spent 2 nights at South Rim, 3 nights in Zion NP, and 2 nights at North rim. I would probably skip South Rim if I went again due to the amount of people/tourists. North rim was as pretty or prettier and much fewer people and a more laid back atmosphere.

If you are into hiking you could literally spend an entire week in 1 location and still not see everything.

I packed extra fuel. If I was going to do this particular trip again - I wouldn't bother carrying the extra weight around. Gas was plentiful but at a premium in some locations. We didn't do nearly as much off road as I had hoped, so in this case the extra fuel wasn't needed.

How was the drive? Been wanting to make a trip like this after my cruiser returns to normal.

The LX did great. Over the entire trip I averaged right at 14.9mpgs. I just put new OME shocks so the highway ride was a little stiff. Only thing I wished for was an MP3 compatible stereo system. Alot of areas out there you can't even pick up a single station.

Next time I would plan for more scenic routes and probably a few more days if possible. We had a couple of long days driving getting back to Texas.

TEXLEX450....what a fantastic trip!

I am in the middle of a 3500+ mile trip with my 80. It is one of my favorite things to do...aside from tinkering with her of coarse!

Great trip, we hit Grand Canyon & Zion on our honeymoon..... did you stop at the Vermellion(sp?) Cliffs Bar & Grill after crossing the Colorado river.....?

We had a great time. I can't wait to plan a trip for next summer. Sadly, I didn't spend nearly enough time researching OHV trails. Would definitely like to spend some time on trails the vehicle was designed for!

Enjoy the trip. And post pics!

Cheers,

yeah me and some friends are doing a GWT trip (Great Western Trail) here during labor day week basiclly leaving Phoenix and trying to find as many back roads and NON highway roads as we can find to the Grand Caynon. basicly a full week trip, short of hunting for our our own food trying to be as self suficiant as we can. we have a thread on both here and under the Clubhouse Copper State Cruirser page. we will post plenty of pics and info as we can .looking forward to it

TX to AZ

I was planning to do this trip with my daughter this summer, but the 8 to 9 hour trip up to Amarillo and then out of Texas to CO Springs put me off, I need to build in some entertainment for that part of the leg before we do that. We will most likely do the drive next spring, and hit Big Bend this fall to satisfy her urge to explore.

Im jealous yall did it, It really makes me wish we had bitten the bullet and done it.

yeah we just finally finsihed our GWT(Great Western trail) trip to the Grand Caynon. mind you we didnt drive quite as far but still a 7 days of backroads and camping wa more than one can stand. not to mention no shower for that time and only the occasional bird bath and playing in the Verde river. but non teh less was a greta trip cant wait to do it again in a few years once teh trails are copmplete.
186.jpg
IMG_0303.jpg
IMG_0359.jpg

and more pics
IMG_0104.jpg
331.jpg
IMG_0242.jpg

Wow! What a great adventure..sweet pics

I forgot Arizona has wet places like that, too.

And I now know where to stop for a brew next time I'm in the area.

I forgot Arizona has wet places like that, too.

And I now know where to stop for a brew next time I'm in the area.
yeah the Saloon at the top of Crown King is definitly worth the drive up that damn mountian just for :beer::beer::beer: and teh burgers and wings, a neat lil town. yeah we do have our HOT AND DRY weather but when it rains.......it rains!!!!!!!.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom