Retrieving item that fell into dash defogger grill (2013 LC 200 United States) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Without placing blame (probably my daughter) a piece of which I think was hard candy like a jolly rancher skidded across my dash and fell into the long, thin defogger plastic grate right at the edge where the dah meets the windshield. Any advice on retrieval? I'm on the low/medium adventurous side of pulling apart my vehicle to get it, and would be perfectly happy if there's an easy way to pop out that grate and find some sort of vacuum extension to poke around. Thanks!

I just did some digging in the FSM.. the vent does detach from the top of the dash with "11 claws" but in the FSM you'd remove it with the dashboard out of the vehicle. I'm not sure you can manipulate it in that position and avoid breaking those claws, or maybe damaging the dash. If you do go after it, this is where quality plastic trim tools are valuable.

Here is the detail the FSM shows for those "claws".

B180544-A.png

For a 2013 cruiser the part is about $63 online, in case you tear yours up..
55981-60010-C0 for black trim
55981-60010-E1 for "orchid brown" trim..
Per the parts diagrams there aren't any extra clips or anything to buy.

As OCD as I am about these things, I'd consider just letting it enjoy it's new home.

Edit: looking closer at the picture it seems the center speaker grille has been removed first. I remember that being something of a pain..

Adapt a long thin semi-stiff extension that will fit through the grill for a reasonably powerful vacuum. Small diameter PEX tubing and duck tape.

I would just leave it unless you get some rattles from it. Some things are not worth the trouble. I'm guilty of not following my own advice sometime and making a much, much bigger project from nothing. Eventually I'm sorting it out but at much more time and expense than I would call worth it and question my own intelligence for doing that.

Melted chocolate really helps the resale value...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom