Restoring 1970 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thanks for all your responses, yeah I guess Ill go with a BDS lift. Does that come with everything thgough (springs, shocks, pittman, etc??) I cant do SOA in NJ because its not legal, and this is gunna be driven a lot. Yeah it has bondo on it, only on the quarters and rockers. I am getting all new quarters, rockers, and running board. The running boards im goin to do pollished alluminum. The 11,000 miles, Im not sure if that is the right milage, but my uncle didnt mess with it, and he got it from some guy in colorado who really took care of it, and didnt do too much with it. Im planning on doing a quick restoration. I got all the equipment I need, and my shop is surrounded by automotive shops, I also have a complete machine shop at my disposal, so im gunna do a reall kick ass set of bumpers, and probaly chrome them, with dual winch, 1 pto, and one electric. I cant wait. lol

[quote author=70LCruiser link=board=1;threadid=6983;start=msg60311#msg60311 date=1068233523] so im gunna do a reall kick ass set of bumpers, and probaly chrome them[/quote]

You're kidding right?

well either im gunna do chrome tubes (dual 3") or a diamond plate one. I do know in the front im building a tool box on each side of the PTO winch. and the back im goin to do the same without the toolboxes.

yeah ill probaly do diamond plate. :D

Best of luck to you. Plan out your time frame, and then double it. Same thing for the cash. POR15 is some excellent stuff. One gallon will do nicely. But then if your sandblasting everything perfectly, you don't need it, but I still recomend it. Especially for your frame. Very tough stuff. If you go with swampers, skip the thornbirds, they suck, unless your driving street miles and want to look badass. If your on a budget, I suggest spending your money first on things that are difficult to get at, ie. tranny and xfer, frame resto and under body. It's much easier to swap a bumper than your throwout bearing after the truck is together. Good luck

I know what you mean about the time frame/cash. I figure I need around $5000 by the time im 100% done. I think im going to go with boggers than instead of thornbirds, but i heard they were good. O well. I dont think I have to worry about breaking anything to expensive or having to replace expensive parts because everything on my truck is remarkably solid. It runs and drives perfect, no tapping, no slippage, and it doesnt even smoke. Im using paint that is like POR15 except it is used on heavyduty trucks, and costs $90 per gallon!!!! Im gettin it at around $35 per gallon because Im getting it from tha manafacturer. Im not planning on messing wiht anything mechanical because it runs nice, soo why mess with it. I want the truck done by summer which I think I can do. hopefully. Does anyone know the PA lift laws?? ???

I fully rebuilt my truck in about 4-5 months. Out there every day sandblasting or painting. But everything on my 79 had to be redone, even the insides of heaters and such. If you stick with it, you could easily have this done by the first of spring. Just do so after work daily, and put on a good cd, turn it up, and work all weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom