Replacing steering wheel... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, that's basically it. On installation you may have to trim the molded rubber on the new steering wheel where the air bag legs sit with an exacto knife so the bag fully seats. My new wheel had too much rubber there and I had to trim quite off quite a bit to allow the air bag to sit flush and even with the steering wheel.
Also, after mounting, my new wheel was about a half a spline off center from the original. Easy fix though. It only took 1/4 of a turn on the tie rod end adjusters to bring it in to center. In the FSM there is a formula to calculate how much to turn the tie rod ends to move the steering wheel so many degrees. That's what I used and it was spot on. Enjoy your new wheel and good luck!

Badlander is right in every respect. I just replaced mine with this exact wheel. Couldn't be happier.

N0ZhUK1aIa1X9u_B0DEFoaqViatdE6Z4kY8_be1Iew_VcTFmUoLG-lRyhx6P7NlzuMz2PBG0JRBdkf2yDdOCGIo8MGRkr8nz94ksUCvlds9kqkwrD21lAJHaDga1vKEHplLiADk94N-Pya3829y2Uj4zMxn0ZLkOPwy7TG0q6gxiwNpIqC6L8H_9oMedIOWL1kXL2vrVcYRmIQ-NszX0MsTQBcdvCHs-HAQ1vQcN3awUVn8_DK1-oAANBEMLeN9efEpsKpVij0F0H6AwN2jo9gdvPts3TvcxP3pGGY-PRUzMxreHEqPBB1zapcJxdI5_zDnt-XHQD3hQEHuvEjAkfTLORNKTD8UkmF-E1uW4mljCMApKoUIVrNkrOdMJmgYoCWfWRjoKYUgUFwwDJcaT9wKWA8ZMejiBgJt2b91gtuXz5SSVE5VFE1eo3OD2VlL0xvc14UPPZVR2ExFR1LhaJi46V_krIpzBNZVBz42t8QGUnBocrgktB9Dgr7STmP0jm7yHBzWAyiT3_DvM1TRayNcbbvLpHaLpbZmL2pT9TDLzuc12QxELdROAxdSBXOflo0achDFoYFAqtElPc0zfqOtvshO-3p8=w2160-h1216-no

Thank you guys so much.

I know nothing about tie rods, so I will attempt the get the steering wheel on exactly or live with the results.

The video must me different in some respects. I went looking for the screws on the steering column and couldn't find them. Then I noticed as I turned the steering wheel a bit that they were hidden behind the wheel. But after I remove that plastic covering it should be smooth sailing.

If I recall correctly the side screw covers are best pried out from the rear edge. The front ends have a larger tab which is harder to get out. Maybe scottmbbp could confirm this since he just did his.

badlander, do I need a steering wheel removal tool? Or is it just as simple as the video shows?

Thanks again,

Phil

badlander, do I need a steering wheel removal tool? Or is it just as simple as the video shows?

I'm not badlander, but....

Most folks report that a few good tugs will pull the wheel off the central/splined hub. Didn't work for me, but maybe since I had a cheap ($10) puller from Ebay in the toolbox I just didn't try hard enough, or maybe I was just to wimpy that day - hard to say. If the truck is your only vehicle I'd try to source a puller before beginning just in case.

I found out from another thread that the tool is not needed. Nice.

Thanks for your help.

Mine would not come off with yanking either. I use a puller that I already had.
Let us know how you make out.

More importantly: has anyone reported this being doable ona post-facelift 100? Because I have yet to come across one on eBay, and they specifically say it will only fit pre-facelift models each time, despite the fact my wheel looks exactly the same. The mounting points are different I guess?

Got it done. Looks good.

Here is a tip to get that steering wheel on as straight as possible:

Leave airbag off and remove two screws at the top. Hand tighten the nut onto the steering wheel. Take it for a drive on a nice safe, flat straight road. Figure out which way steering is pointing. Pull over. Remove nut. Pull off steering wheel. Adjust. PUT THE NUT BACK ON. Go for another drive and continue the process until you get as straight as it can be. Pull back into the garage, tighten that nut all the way. Put airbag back on.

steering.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom